JET JPT 310 (used) Vs Scheppach HMS2600Ci Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeu996

Reaction score
I have been looking at the possibility of buying a New Scheppach HMS 2600 CI for £700. or going for the Jet (used) from Axminster for approximately the same amount or a litlle less . Given the issue of the fence last year and people's experience with both machine, which scenario seems the best. Slightly smaller new or bigger and used.

Many thanks for your Help

Robert

I read a thread that reffered to the fence of the Jet not being quite square ( a matter of a mils ) and how one user modified it . Manufacturing tolerance.

I guess the mechanism of the more expensive machine will generally win over the cheaper one .

Makes sense

Robert

I have the Jet and would recommend it to all, I find the extra width of the bed for thicknessing invaluable. Is the used one a demo?

They are so called customer returns to Axminster and come without guarantee . Obviously a lot cheaper than full price items I was just wondering how good a value they were . There seems to be a few available.

Given that you're considering the Scheppach 10" PT as one of your options why not think about the Jet 260 as well. It's about the same price and you've got the peace of mind the guarantee affords. I haven't seen one in the flesh but I'd expect it to be very similar in build quality and robustness as it's big brother ( which I have and love despite my initial reservations), it shares the main design features at any rate, in which case it would blow the Scheppach into the weeds IMO.
As far as the axminster returns go I'd want to know exactly why it was returned and have a damn good look at it before parting with the best part of a grand (I think you're being a bit optimistic with regard to the final price, especially if it's this one) on a machine with no warranty at all.

my vote is for the JET JPT310 (The 310mm capacity is just a dream) buy I doubt the Aution will end in lest thant £700 the only thing that make me a bit out is why axminster had some many (6+) customer reurns from the same model? be aware tha there is not Warranty with the machine and VAT Will be add

Many thanks for the response. It seems that the Jet is generally a better machine from what I can see and I agree that the price advantage over a new Jet may not be make up for the lack of warranty and I am also a little suspicious of 6 returns.

I sent a query to Axminster and got a response that follows

Hi, Thanks for your email.

I can appreciate your concerns about these machines. The machines are generally very reliable but as you mentioned the fences have been an issue in the past, I am a very regular reader of the forum! We are however selling all of these machines under trade terms ie 'Sold as Seen' at a highly reduced price. They usually retail for £1182 plus VAT but as they are used and we are not offering a warranty the reserve is only set at £450 ex VAT to reflect this. eBay is a great place to pick up bargains but unfortunately there are some small risk’s involved, in this case you can bid for a machine and possibly save yourself £500, but with no warranty there is always the possibility that you will have to carry out some repairs. However, on the other hand if you more happy with complete peace of mind we have no problem selling you a machine at full price!

Quite a few of the forum members have purchased machines from me on eBay and as far as I am aware they have been pleased with there buys.

Hope this has helped.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd put your minds at rest, the Jet JPT310's are not all recent returns. Some have been in our warehouse for quite a while waiting for me to get around to listing them all on eBay. If you have any questions about any of the machines please fell free to ask.

Thanks,

Richard.

Again I like the fact that Axminster are prepared to communicate with the forum.

Well I did it !!!!

I bought the JPT 310, I'll keep you posted on how things develop.

Thanks for all the help

Robert

Fortunately, I was the one at £560 + VAT + delivery = £703. I hope to receive it on Friday.

Will let you guys now how it turns out.

Thanks again for the support

Robert

Just to let everybody know that I have finally started using the JPT310 and so far I am very happy with it eventhough I have only done floorboards. I is everything I expected for the price.
So far so good.

I am also using the Axminster SDS100 dust extractor that I got for £60.00 at one of their sales and it is working surprisingly well. Emptying the dustbin is a bit more difficult than if it was just a bag since I have to lift the motor assembly.

Thanks again for the advice

Robert

thanks for the info, i'm prety much sold on the 10" version

I currently have the Jet310 and prior to this I had a HMS260 (steel tables). Both are great machines - solid and well built giving great finishes. I only changed to get the extra planing width. (OK - and to get some cast iron too !)

While researching on this great forum, I also read those threads about the Jet fence and decided that if necessary I too could make similar adjustments to those suggested.

But, having used the Jet for many months now, I'd say its a non-issue for me. I find no dishing on the face and can set it up perfectly square.

In fact, my HMS260 also had a alloy fence and the Jet is no better or worse in this regard, just longer. Both have done the business for me.

Back