Jet JDP-15 bench drill vibration and noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy75

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I picked up my first pillar drill this week in the Axminster sale. I got the Jet JDP-15 at a good price and I'm happy with how solid it seems overall.

However I am having an issue that doesn't seem normal. Its quite noisy (noisier than my bandsaw when its on) and vibrates more than I expect, Ive slipped the belts off and the motor itself seems to be the source of the vibration and the noise. Is this normal behaviour for this kind of drill or should I be ringing Axminster for a replacement?

Thanks for the help all.

PAC1":wg1zjeb8 said:
Speak to Axminster

Thanks, will ring them tomorrow.

Am I correct to expect a completely vibration free machine with no belts attached to the motor? Having never owned a pillar drill I don't want to be unreasonable in what I'm asking for but of course I also want to get the best machine I can.

They will probably still be there now.
I would not go as far as completely vibration free but it should not be at a level that make the machine unusable

skippy75":anfqe2e1 said:
Am I correct to expect a completely vibration free machine with no belts attached to the motor?
There's going to be a tiny bit, as there would be with any industrial motor, but I don't think there should be any noticeable vibration if the drive belt is off completely.

It's really only a hum from my Axi pillar drill when the belt is off.

The vibration is actually visible on the motor and it just looks and sounds 'off'. I didn't manage to catch the technical team at Axminster today so I will give them a ring tomorrow.

Thank you both very much for the help.

I bought one of the ebay clearance jet pillar drills from axminster just befor Christmas. Although it's a different model to yours it had the same issue. The bolts holding the plate the motor is fixed to were loose. I had to remove the motor then tighten up the plate, then re-mount the motor. Also when the motor goes back on check the alignment of the pulleys.

Hope this is of some help.

TomO":49skzdez said:
I bought one of the ebay clearance jet pillar drills from axminster just befor Christmas. Although it's a different model to yours it had the same issue. The bolts holding the plate the motor is fixed to were loose. I had to remove the motor then tighten up the plate, then re-mount the motor. Also when the motor goes back on check the alignment of the pulleys.

Hope this is of some help.

Ah I hadn't checked those bolts, I will have a look at them, thanks. The pulleys seem to be aligned ok. Have you managed to solve the issue on yours?

The noise and vibration are much reduced. But I still need to properly level the base and bolt it down for maximum stability. I'm confident now that with a bit more tweeking it can be a smooth quiet machine. Like you said, the build quality seems good, I think it just needs carefully looking over/setting up.

TomO":2b1qoye1 said:
The noise and vibration are much reduced. But I still need to properly level the base and bolt it down for maximum stability. I'm confident now that with a bit more tweeking it can be a smooth quiet machine. Like you said, the build quality seems good, I think it just needs carefully looking over/setting up.

Thats good news, I'm happy to tweak and fiddle over time, I just didn't want to start out with a lemon.

Well there were no loose bolts so I phoned Axminster and they are replacing the whole drill tomorrow. I will let you know what the new one is like.

Thanks for the help everyone

The replacement drill is exactly the same so it seems JET have really dropped the ball when it comes to motor quality. Axminster customer services have been excellent and they are taking the drill back for a full refund this time.

Thank you for the help everyone.

Back