JET Jet JDP-15B-M Bench Pillar Drill reviews

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually close to buying a Nova machine, but there's one or two issues which may well influence your choice - firstly, those sold in the UK do not have the laser 'sights' - not 100% sure why, so you'd have to buy an add-on one if you need that facility.
I see there are 5 different model numbers for world sales (USA, NZ/Australia, Canada, Europe and UK) . The laser feature is not available in all markets. That suggests it's possibly due to compliance and all CE marked units would be affected. Not sure if the laser option is available in Europe? The laser is a Class 2, which should be OK, but there are two laser modules, perhaps the outputs are classed as additive and the level exceeds allowable levels.
They give a part number for the laser modules (8379043), so there would be nothing to stop you buying the modules and fitting them yourself. This issue is quite common with far eastern manufacturers where they 'misunderstand' or try to get round requirements. Someone suggested it's due to poor accuracy and reliability of the laser modules, but why just in some markets. It looks like a really good machine. I like all the technology features, but as soon as I see firmware and drill press in the same sentence I shiver. At least it's not Bluetooth 😁

Hi

I saw the Jet 15 and Nova Viking side-by-side yesterday. Ie on same bench and next to each other

I am looking at Nova because of all the glowing reviews about quality (often cited as the best of the best) and hadn’t even thought about the Jet. BUT having seen both aside by side, I have to say, the visual quality of the Jet gives a much better impression than the Nova to the extent that I am confused and am seriously considering the Jet. IMHO the Jet is a *much* nicer finished machine in everything.

The Jet is some £200 cheaper. The Nova castings and paint finishes are much more inferior; the plastics are nastier; the table is not as smooth in operatIon, finish or size; and the chuck is not as nice; even the mechanical depth stop on the Jet was more pleasant to use than the Nova’s. All visual I know, but first impressions count!

For me the only thing the Nova has going for it is the ease of speed change because the Jet is going to be awkward for me to access the belts in the location I will be installing the bench versions. I am not sure that I am bothered about all of the other of the Nova’s bells and whistles so I am confused. I went with the intention of buying a Nova and came away to have a serious rethink.

Couldn’t resist the bench version Nova in the end. The simplicity of speed change (getting to belts would be a PITA where it is sited) and digital depth set, spun it for me.

Been using it for a month now and it just oozes ease (and is so smooooth) especially with a keyless chuck that I added (but there’s nothing wrong with the Nova supplied TBH).

Doubly pleased to say that my unit is much better finished than the display unit I saw but finished quality is still not as nice as the Jet I saw at the same time.

Is it worth the extra £200 over the Jet? For me yes! Definitely recommend investigating the Nova if you are considering this end of the market.

Back