Jessem Router table or Sedgwick spindle moulder?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris73

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently toying with the idea of buying one of the above.I'm thinking for ninety percent of my work the jessem would be sufficient. but, I'm also thinking, that the rest of the machines in my workshop are all cast iron lumps.Now if I buy the jessem am I going to be missing the sedgwick cast iron industrial build quality?. I also notice the sedgwick comes with a router arbour so I could still use all my small cutters.admittedly it only does 8000 rpm but i'm sure I can change the pulleys over to up the speed somewhat.
What does everybody think?
Thanks
Chris

I have a full jessem set up, can't recommend it highly enough for its accuracy and ease of use. I have DW625 2kw drive unit that does what its told without complaint. I also have a kity spindle moulder that will take up to 50mm knives.

Both are used for different things. I use the router more than the moulder, it's much safer to use. Moulders are dangerous pieces of kit, ( as is everything in the workshop, just that the moulder is more so!!!) and for small detail the router with the jessem set up is EXTREMELY quick to use. (rout-r-lift)

The finish on moulders is superior to that on routers, and you can achieve in one pass what may take many passes on a router. I only take cuts upto 5mm on the router, depending on wood, height of cut etc etc.

If you are doing lots of architectural detailing, then there is a huge amount on offer for a moulder. It really depends upon what you are going to use it for.Making windows or doors for commercial ends( moulder), or making a jewellrey box for the lady of the house (router).

Hoping to re gear the moulder would be difficult. Remember large router bits need to move at around 12-14k, smaller bits upwards and over 20k. (depends upon diameter and weight of the bits. ALWAYS check the manufacturers recommendation!!!)

Hope that is of some use.

Decklan

I'll second Decklans comments. I have the same set-up (even the same router). I've also got the Jessem mitre gauge to go with it. Great piece of kit.

Ive just bought the full jessem set up, no chance to use it yet, but my god it really is serious quality!

Nope, not yet, found the fence T nuts were missing.I could make some at work, but I thought why should I after Ive just paid for them?.I phoned Rutlands and they have the matter in hand.
I'm also looking for the Triton router for a permanent fit in the table.Hopefully I shall be wood worrying by the weekend.
Chris.

You really need both!

Router tables are great for small mouldings etc and the Jessum set up makes a big difference in terms of ease and accuracy.

For rebating, grooving, and tenoning however, you can't beat a spindle moulder.

I would go for the Jessum and look around for a small second-hand cast-iron SM - something like a Wadkin BRS. I use one every day and it's great.

Latest posts

Back