Japanese - Western hybrid...WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":2tkkb563 said:
Have you made the plane just for the fun of it, Rob, or will it do something that you can't do just as well with your other planes?

Cheers :wink:

Paul
I knew that was coming :lol: It is a bit of fun, but fascinating at the same time. What intrigues me is that something so simple (a lump of steel set into a block of wood, nothing else) which on the face of it, is relatively straight forward can be so technically demanding to get right. The Japanese got their planes working like this 17thC or thereabouts and haven't seen the need to mess about with them...they just work! If fact the dai is merely the holder for the most important part which is the blade and really good one could set you back the thick end of £1K. I can't see myself getting rid of my Western planes anytime soon but I intend to get a few more proper Japanese planes to add to the collection...so it'll soon be bigger than yours :mrgreen: (hammer) - Rob

woodbloke":33pgbp8b said:
add to the collection...so it'll soon be bigger than yours :mrgreen: (hammer)

He who dies with the most tools wins, eh........ :lol:

Glad you got it working well - looks good 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

woodbloke":2yr8tcvv said:
...with equal success. This is obviously a bit of an Alfie's dinner :lol: but it does now work much better than it did last night - Rob

Hold on one cotton-picking moment there Rob!!!!

DSC_1334.JPG

What you need is one of my designs....poorly executed by my apprentice but clearly a CAMLOCK solid design!

DSC_1320.JPG

If you don't believe me...ask my friend Dai...the Welsh Terrier!! :mrgreen:

ALFIE!!

xxx

It could be that if you develop back problems pulling a plane may be a better option than pushing, it did help me.

newt":1lsuhp6i said:
It could be that if you develop back problems pulling a plane may be a better option than pushing, it did help me.
Pete, that view was expressed by someone on Lumberjocks, who mentioned that a completely different set of muscle groups are used when tools are 'pulled' as opposed to 'pushed' - Rob

phil.p":12ajscnt said:
#-o So you're better of pushing it than pulling :roll:
Say again?...no comprendo, please read what Pete wrote again (unless I've misunderstood, which wouldn't be the first time :roll: ) - Rob

I should put a comma after pushing,,,,,, could be read as back problems from pulling :oops:

If you want to see some really nice Japanese stuff, have a little look-see here. Google Translator needed to de-cypher the kanji into almost understandable English (with a bit of interpretation and guesstimation) - Rob

Back