Japanese saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the handle style on these saws. Are they not really difficult to use?

All I've ever used is traditional western style saws (ranging my Disstons & Tyzack's to chuck away jet cuts,etc). The closest thing (handle parallel with blade) is a coping saw.

I only use the coping saw for materials up to a thickness of 3/4" max (usually scribing skirting). I always thought that sawing thicker & wider materials with that style of saw would be hard work compared to the saws I am used to. :?

They are actually very easy to use with good results, the depth of the blade helps to keep the saw vertical unlike the coping saw which is only about 3mm deep and the frame also makes it top heavy.

The Japanese tend to use a different sawing stance to us, they hold the wood near the growd gripping it with their feet (they have special socks/shoes where the toe is separate like mittens :D ) They also tend to pull their planes towards them.

Jason

Scooby
The Jap saws are a different breed-they all come REALLY sharp, which is an eye opener for most woodies. They do cut well but it does depend on how well you get on with the grip and pull stroke.
Personally I prefer Western style saws, but do use Jap saws for some tasks.
As they are pretty cheap (pricewise) it is worth trying one out, you won't be disappointed.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

i think if you are really used to european style, you might
find the handle a bit strange until you really understand the
pull cut , then it almost becomes second nature.

personally as a returnee, i find them easier to understand and use.

paul :wink:

ps yes they do tend to be sharper than you would imagine.
where they are really useful is in tight spaces where a euro saw
would not get.

Back