Japanese Hammer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Routermonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have an ancient square mallet which I've been (ab)using on DIY jobs for many years.

I'm thinking of buying a Japanese hammer with which to hit my chisels, as recommended by David C in his books and DVDs. Axi and CHT sell them in different weights; they have narrow heads (Hakkaku Genno). I think David uses one with a fatter head, an example of which (Nomi Genno) is marketed by Dick Tools in Germany.

Does anyone else use this type of hammer?

Should I buy a round carver-type mallet instead?

Thanks

Les

Hi Les,

I like using the carver-style mallet. If you do any turning and can find an old bowling ball, they are fun to make. This was the result of my third go at turning (under the expert guidance of paulm)

Bowlingball.jpg

Carversmallet8.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I use one of the Dick 375g ones on my jap chisels, very nice to use. It's not the very expensive ones, think this is the range

Jason

I like these Les, great for tapping away on the end of a chisel and a good candidate for making a new fancy handle for, or one of these for which I made a shorter more exotic handle for ala David Barron style, must take a pic of it when I remember.

Cheers, Paul :D

Guys

Many thanks for your advice.

I compared the 375 g chisels with bigger round heads offered by Dieter Schmid (Daruma) and Dick (Nomi Genno); both are advertised as suitable for driving chisels. I had another look at David C's DVD to check what David is using. In the end I ordered from Dieter Schmid - their hammer is also described on their website as 'potbellied' (- rather like me!). :D

I still may need to have a look at those carver-style mallets on the WH site - for other applications, you understand .... :roll:

Now I'm off to the workshop to get those chisels sharpened.

Best regards

Les

Hi Les

I think you did the right thing.

A carver's mallet is great for wacking at mortice chisels, but for precision work on dovetail or bench chisels, then a small hammer offers better control.

I have a Blue Spruce mallet, which is a beautiful tool, but it is not suited to gentle love taps.

Mallets1-1.jpg

I have a couple of genno, one 375 gm with a fat head like yours. It is an excellent hammer for hooped chisels, such as Japanese. I would not use it on unhooped chisel, however, as it will destroy the wooden handles.

For unhooped chisels I now use the hammer I originally made for planes. This is brass on one side and wood on the other. The wooden side is perfect for unhooped chisels ..

Ebonyonbrassmallet.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I post my example made from a piece of Lignum Vitae. Since I had it I rarely use my Jap hammer which as you can see is 375g and, I feel, a little top heavy.

IMG_2358.jpg

I have a 225gr jap hammer and I find it the perfect weight and balance with a bit of clout and equally able to provide a 'love tap' or two.

I'm looking to get the blue spruce mallet sometime soon though. I've heard great things about them and the impregnated acrylic. I'm looking forward to comparing it with the japanese hammer.

Would a steel hammer, in the long term, do damage to a chisel handle without a ferule on top? Just a though. I've spotted nothing noticeable yet to my LN's but, in fairness, I haven't use them much yet.

Eoin

eoinsgaff":rw227fbh said:
I have a 225gr jap hammer and I find it the perfect weight and balance with a bit of clout and equally able to provide a 'love tap' or two.

I'm looking to get the blue spruce mallet sometime soon though. I've heard great things about them and the impregnated acrylic. I'm looking forward to comparing it with the japanese hammer.

Would a steel hammer, in the long term, do damage to a chisel handle without a ferule on top? Just a though. I've spotted nothing noticeable yet to my LN's but, in fairness, I haven't use them much yet.

Eoin

Hi Eoin

The BS mallet is heavier than it appears from its size. It is balanced and comfortable to use, not to mention gorgeous to look at. Still, I reserve it for my oval bolstered mortice chisels, which have large and wide handles. As I mentioned before, a large, round face is not decisioned for gentle, precise taps.

Will a steel face deform a wooden handle? Well, which surface is harder and is least likely to deform? Even though you do not see it now, and in fact the LN Hoirnbeam handles will resist deformation a lot longer than most woods, eventually they will mushroom. The question is whether this bothers you? With softer woods I would resist using a genno, even a light one. In addition to the 375gm, I have a 225 gm version. I use this for pins and nails, not chisels. It is a good weight for precision tapping, however, so the little brass/wood hammer I above is preferred for unhooped handles (that is, the ebony face is used). This weighs 200 gms.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hmm ...

Having just received a parcel from Dieter Schmid (great service) I think I'll stick to my 'girly' hammer.

I think the cap says it all - you'd have to be a right D**k to pay 499 € for a hammer.

But, at the risk of starting a war, I suppose it may appeal to some, er, collectors. I wonder if there are any on this forum who would admit to desiring such a hammer? :roll:

I'll get my hat & coat now ...

Les

Latest posts

Back