Japanese chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Are Japanese chisels, in particular Oire Nomi, only intended for fine delicate work. I work as a joiner for my day job and hang a lot of doors, usually some type of hardwood. I seem to be getting on better with waterstones than I did with oilstones and hence my chisels and plane irons are much sharper. However they lose their edge VERY quickly :(

I don't want to start grinding them at steeper angles, so I was thinking of going for increased steel hardness. I'm getting a laminated iron for my jack plane as the original one is terrible and thought I'd order a japanese chisel at the same to see how good they are, nothing top of the range. Something in the £20-£30 range. How are there chisels suited to common joinery work (door hanging especially)? I'm not one who uses chisels to pry waste out,etc and usually take care of my chisels. Plus, I have old chisels for the horrible jobs.

Any info would be appreciated. I'm currently on a new set of Marples 373's which seem to nowhere as good as the set I had (also 373's) back when I was an apprentice 13 years ago :?

Also thinking of trying out some Two Cherries as these look good. Could someone let me know of any UK stockists?

Are these chisels overkill for the job I do? I'm pretty neurotic (for a better word) about keeping my tools as sharp as I can, so what do you good people think? Go for better (harder chisels) or stick with the Marples and keep sharpening?

Scooby
The Oire Nomi chisels have metal hoops so you don't split them handle when hammering the living daylights out of them. I think you'll find they hold their edge much better than your existing chisels. Why not try a couple to see how you get on with them?
For delicate work try these.
Axminster sell the two cherries chisels , too.
Hope this is of help,
Philly :D

They will hold their edge longer but being harder are prone to chipping easily but I have only found that a problem when morticing hardwoods like maple. I do keep mine on the bench and have other chisels for site work.

Jason

Depending on whether it bothers you or not, it's worth noting the Kirschen/Two Cherries chisels Axminster stock are polished and thus more of a pain to prep the back. Dieter Schmid has the unpolished ones, fwiw (and yeah, I know that's in Germany, but there's got to be some advantage to this EU thing, hasn't there?).

Definitely give a Japanese chisel a try - they do take and hold an excellent edge and if you're not into prying with them you should have no practical problems. Just boils down to whether you like them or not really.

Cheers, Alf

I have some chisels from workshop heaven that i am pleased with, should be a good length for door work need very little honing also on ebay for small price reduction may be.
Look here.

I had a set of these from Axminster and found them quite good, capable of holding a very keen edge, but as others have said, very brittle owing to their hardness. If I were to buy another set I would hone them at slightly higher angle, perhaps 32 or 33 deg to make the edge stronger - now use LN chisels which I have found to be much better - Rob

Thanks for all the advice :D I couldn't decide whether to go for 2 cherries or a japanese chisel, so I ended up ordering a couple of 2 cherries (unpolished) chisels and a Hock iron from Dieter Schmid, but I'll be ordering 1 or 2 oire nomi's also next week probably :D .

If the ordered item is in stock ( it usually is ) the order is dispatched within a day. The rest depends on the carrier. If I'm not mistaken they use UPS, so it should be quite fast, even across the Channel.

Back