January Competition Project Discussion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul.J":2lwoo8wy said:
Allen.
Are natural inclusions acceptable,such as bark,holes etc :?:

Paul , sorry No , we need a standard bowl

later in the year we have a anything goes bowl challenge ,

and a anything goes platter challenge

Holes ,bark ,burning ,carving, texturing, colouring ,piercing .all allowed

This month standard bowls only

:mrgreen:

Blister":27dnuuxk said:
Paul.J":27dnuuxk said:
Allen.
Are natural inclusions acceptable,such as bark,holes etc :?:

Paul , sorry No , we need a standard bowl
:mrgreen:
So natural edges are out? That'll be a shame. Does it also mean that if someone have a bark inclusion in their blank they have to turn it out as we're not allowed inclusions, holes etc? I know that earlier you said not to fill inclusions with epoxy and metal etc (quite reasonable given the no decoration bit) but not to allow natural features / edges???

Rules are rules I guess (assuming that the above it right) I just hope that no one else has included any bark, natural edges etc.

Regards

Miles

I have a natural edge to my bowl. No burning ,carving, texturing, colouring ,piercing etc as per rules. Timber just as nature made it.

I really hope at this late stage more constraints are not added that disqualify a piece made to the original rules. This is supposed to be fun and getting people into their workshops after-all!

Simon

Hmmm, have a slight inclusion, :( hasn`t been enhanced in any way just as nature intended, it is a standard bowl, is a nice grain pattern allowed? :?

thats where you guys have all gone wrong ...

to be on the safe side i have used a perfectly natural, elf & safety approved , totally lacking natural edges, inclusions, grain and features tupperware blank!

has to be a winner :wink:

What me? employing diversionary tactics .... never

Odd - I'm sure I posted that mine was done but I'm not seeing the post. Tick me off the list please Mr Blister ! Just been reading up how to take photos so that's the next game to play.

Rob

OldWood":2x00ky85 said:
Odd - I'm sure I posted that mine was done but I'm not seeing the post. Tick me off the list please Mr Blister ! Just been reading up how to take photos so that's the next game to play.

Rob

OK Rob

I have added you to the list of ready entrants :mrgreen:

CLARIFICATION RE JANUARY ENTRY'S

I had stated at the beginning of January that this months entry's were to be standard bowls , Listing as many exclusions as I could think of at the time to encourage entrants to produce a standard bow

It has now come to light that some entrants want to include ( Natural edge / Bark inclusion ) as part of a standard bowl ,
I understand that bark is part of a log but cant see how it is standard ?
does this mean all bowls will have to have it to be standard ?
If so then my what I thought was a standard bowl is now not a standard bowl as it has no bark / natural edge

All I can ask is for the entrants to either

1 Enter the bowl with a natural edge / bark included and let the Judge decide if it is a standard bowl or

2 Turn a replacement bowl ( Standard )

3 Not enter this month if you have no time to do a replacement

I had hoped my description was sufficient and the term " Standard bowl " would have been taken as such , But It looks like I have failed , so I apologise for being misleading

I will endeavor to be more specific for the February Challenge

Allen

Bit of a shame about the no holes natural features bit as it means my initial entry is out, but i've got another i can post, so all good.

Please do relevant list ticking!

Oakbear":uc8btjkb said:
Bit of a shame about the no holes natural features bit as it means my initial entry is out, but i've got another i can post, so all good.

Please do relevant list ticking!

Thanks for the update , list done

Back