Jammed Jet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jervisekken

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a Jet planer/thicknesser combination machine.

unfortunately I tried to thickness a workpiece that was way too thick and it got stuck. I managed to get it loose but now the machine has these symptoms:

1. there is an odd sound when running the machine

2. the steel roller that feeds the workpiece in thicknessing mode is jammed and not moving, i.e. I can not thickness,

I have of course been in contact with the supplier of the machine but it will take some days to get a technician here to look at it.

Does anybody have advice?

How did you get the stuck piece loose? It should be easy, just lower the bed.

You say the roller is jammed, do you mean you can't turn it by hand, or is it just not turning under power?

What is the nature of the odd sound, clicking, whining? Maybe the feed belt has jumped off? There is a manual here that shows how to replace / check the feed belt, as well as exploded diagrams:
http://www.misgroupinc.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=detail&iid=6205325

Which particular model do you have? I have a JPT 310, and could take a look at mine if you have more specific queries.

It sounds unlikely that just putting a piece in the thicknesser with it set to thin could cause your symptoms.

I think he means he had it at max capacity and tried feeding it through then. I think?

On most of the p/t's I've seen the belt drive for the in and out feed rollers is routed around a plastic wheel so that in the event of exactly this kind of thing happening the plastic wheel snaps as opposed to something more substantial and expensive. There should be a relatively accessable side panel (two bolts or similar) to remove and view the chain and poly belts. Have a look in there and see if anything looks broken. Could be anything really. Snapped wheel, belt, chain, tensioner. I don't have this machine my self but they're all a much of a muchness inside.

jetpt.jpg

Sorry it's 6 bolts/screws and two panels. There's at least three wheels in here. Check for missing teeth or worse. I can also see a tensioner at the top right. Check that this hasn't come lose. Although it doesn't say in the parts list the large white coloured toothed wheel marked G looks as if it might be plastic to me. Is it just the infeed roller that has stopped or both? If it's just one then it has to be a problem with the cog on the end of the infeed roller.

If a cog is missing some teeth then the chain will sound rough. If the tensioner is bloken then this will bind up on the chain again making a noise. I can't see it being that bad. Most machines have an engineered in weak point to stop complete machine destruction.

devonwoody":38byucdz said:
The gentleman says there is an odd sound when running the machine, so it runs, not jammed, which means, TROUBLE.

Not necessarily, sounds like what happened when my EB pt broke a drive belt, may just need a replacement belt, it's most likely the first thing that would go if being too ambitious/aggressive with the machine........

Cheers, Paul :D (in unusually optimistic mode :lol: )

Dear fellow woodworkers,
thank you so much for help and advice. That gave me the courage to open the machine and try to fint out what was wrong.
I'll try to explain:
On the figure posted by p111dom under the wheel E there is another small wheel that the chain runs over. This is held in place by a bolt. The bolt was knocked 20 degrees or so out of position, the wheel I found on the workshop floor the day this happened but didn't then understand what it was. Without the little wheel the chain could not drive the infeed roller (or the outfeed roller) and it was jammed. The bolt and a square washer was bent.
I have now ordered the parts that was broken and hope to be able to fix it myself.

PaulO: the workpiece was jammed very hard and I could not move it at all. Unfortuneatly the bed could not be lowered either. To fix that I had to take off the lower panel and turn the screw that moves the bed manually with wrench. And the roller was jammed at didn't move either with or without power.

That wheel is the tensioner. It should slide left and right when loose to take up any slack in the chain. With a bit of luck it will just be bent nd a replacement will be fine. Hope it all works out.

Back