I've spied something in F&C...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Harding

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone read the article on workshop design/layout etc etc in the latest issue?

In the pictures down one side it shows a remote switching system for the extraction. From what i can work out its probably an intelligent plug the extractor pugs into the mains through, there is then a wireless switch you can put wherever you want.

Seems like it might be a cheap alternative to the crazy expensive management systems that turn extraction on and off (with delays) with the TS etc. If you could just put one of these wireless switches next to the machines on/off switch you can do it all yourself with barley any effort.

Does anyone know more about them? Where to buy etc?

Luke

Hi Luke.

I`ve not seen the article, but `ve been using remote switching plugs for a while.

I bought a pack of 4 with a remote from Tesco`s but you can get them from loads of places.

Sorry if that`s not what you meant.

Doug

I read the article and was amused to see the remote switch (not as amused as seeing six pages devoted to gluing a magnet into a piece of wood mind). I wonder how long its going to last switching on a large hoover/extractor .Personally i wouldnt use it because they are generally designed to operate under very small loads such as tv equipment and lighting .i reckon it would melt with the high start up currents . A better way of using it would be to make the remote switch operate a relay rated for higher current use. I've used a similar set up to remotely operate a large 3 phase water pump., trouble is the remotes always seem to get broken .

Yea they seem to be what the article was hinting at, although it has switches to attach to a wall etc instead of a remote.

I actually have my extractor running from a dedicated fused switch instead of just a plug which makes things more complicated. Ill be moving workshop soon so though it may be good to forward plan to make extraction better in the new shop.

Asda have the standard ones, rated to 2900W. Come in a pack of 3 sockets with one remote, which can control up to four sockets. £5 for the pack of three, really great value.

I selected this type because the remote was a definite switch that can be mounted permanently on the wall near the lathe, rather than a loose remote that is soon lost. It is rated to 3000W and has now been operating my twin motor extractor for very nearly two years without any problems. However, like Sheik I did wonder about the longevity and bought a spare just in case, as they were on offer at £9.99 in B&Q. So far not needed, but worth every penny.

Cheers,

Alan

I connected my 3-phase extractor to the common electrics of the 3-phase Robland combi, so that it came on whenever one of the 3 motors was running.
However I think that's what kippered the DE motor :-( after a few months. An electrician muttered something about back voltages...

Maplin do a range of these things...I intend to use them when I set up my extraction system later on - Rob

Back