I've just bought a planer thicknesser! at last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhwbigley

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a 12" startrite planer thicknesser of bay :D

now it just need to get it home, and learn how to use it :-k

John-Henry

Congratulations!

There's an article in this month's F&C about how to set them up, diagnose problems etc. Highly recommended if you have just bought one for the first time.

I can come over and show you the basics if you want john. PM me when you have it home. Any Pics?

Jon

I've been reading that article this lunch time matthew :wink:

thanks Jon, we might be picking it up over the weekend, its only at Peterbrough. But it will need its own 16 amp socket wiring in to the cosumer unit :( so i might be a while till i get to "play" with it.

John-Henry

Here it is!

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01211.jpg

i thought id try running it of a 13 amp plug, and it worked! but i'll still put on a 16. had a little play, knifes are a bit more than dull :( looks like i'll need a new set.

now, to get it of that pallet :-k

John-Henry

jhwbigley":bilz3uov said:

John-Henry

Robland. Nice. I wouldn't go dragging it around by the tables. Best way is to stick a couple of long, stout timbers of equal width on the thicknesser bed and then raise the table to trap them so that you can lift and shuffle the machine by the rollers, not the tables (obviously with a helper on the other end!).

John

jhwbigley":12tplda4 said:
One way is to put it into thicknessing mode, insert 2 long bits of 4x2 (or bigger) though the machine and wind the table up so it clamps on them.
Then support one end of them and lift the other, still not easy but with a little bit of ingenuity it is doable and should not strain any part of the machine. Do you have any mates who are weight lifters or play rugby, offer a few beer tokens for half an hour of their time.
I remember Philly having his new planer walked up the drive using this technique at his bash.

jhwbigley":73ilzzqq said:

John-Henry
Easy, just set fire to pallet, eventually pallet will weaken and machine will drop. :lol:

(I'm not making this suggestion out of jealousy... oh no. :^o )

yes, the 2x4 though the middle sounds like a plan, but i'll wait till i've worked out where i'm going to put it!

Latest posts

Back