I've got a workshop in the offing!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
Well today (about an hour ago) I got confirmation that I can have the opportunity to rent a double garage and turn it into a workshop. However before I can even consider using it, several things need to be addressed:

It has 3 decrepit crittal windows, the side door needs to be replaced and a deadbolt system needs to be attached to the metal up & over door (which may also require attention).

The position of it is it's seperate from the house by some 10 meters or so, and the up & over door backs onto a lane with all the other garage entrances, that is unlit and wide enough for a transit to get down.

So my biggest concern is obviously security, bearing in mind that I don't live at the house so I would rather not rely on a few simple padlocks and a very loud alarm system; even though the person is a friend / aquaintance of 10 years I do not wish to see how far that will go if someone tries to break in.

All of the work and changes / upgrades I will have to fund myself, however for this I will get the first years rent FREE.

Having no experience of possible / probable pitfalls I would appreciate any and all advice as to how to proceed.

Oh and if anyone in the bristol area would like to share in this windfall - please let me know.

Edit: sorry I should have mentioned it has plenty of sockets - it used to be the workshop of an airbus engineer who owned the house previously

Hi

Steel door, internal steel bars / shutters on the windows and removable internal beams across the garage door to prevent it opening?

Curtains on the windows if you don't fit shutters

Regards Mick

I definitely agree with the blanking out the view through the window when you arent around. Ive got black out blinds on the office that I pull down when I go home.

I would take some photographs of existing condition of workshop.

Probably best to have a proper lease and therefore on a business like basis not a mates handshake. Be aware that tenants improvements can increase rental value!

Who is responsible for buildings insurance?

If you have business insurance they may want a fixed electrical installation test, so see what the electrics is like. For your own sake I would make sure you have a current consumer unit with MCBs and an RCBO for the ring main. (I assume the unit it has some power!).

If you are thinking of replacing those crittal windows, bear in mind that because they are steel framed, they were used as structural items. You will almost certainly find there are no lintels above and the bricks will fall down if they are removed.
Get a couple bars welded over the glass top to bottom and side to side instead.
Like said. you need a written lease stating costs to you for as many years as you will want it. If you do all the work the owner can double the rent on the second year, quoting market values.

You made no mention of electricity, worth checking out as well.

Note to self: Read all the previous posts.

Latest posts

Back