I've got a new box idea!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
A box really too far.!!!!!!!!!!

Using more of my scrap pieces it's going to have the facing look of chipboard, wood will go every way.

Any suggestions!!!!!!!!1

Chop all your scraps into little bits then mix with casting resin, pour onto a flat mould then treat them like solid surface material. I've seen a few wood turnings done this way - round twigs set in black resin then turned once set.

Jason

Thanks for that Jason.

I had had two lagers when I thought of my idea at first but now with your tip I can see through the mist. :wink:

jasonB":1wgsx7zv said:
Chop all your scraps into little bits then mix with casting resin, pour onto a flat mould then treat them like solid surface material. I've seen a few wood turnings done this way - round twigs set in black resin then turned once set.

Jason

Looks like this might be the stuff. Concerned about the quantity required etc. I will most probably give the suppliers a telephone call nedt week.

http://www.resins-online.com/resin-onli ... .php?id=40

Tiranti are good for casting resins etc.

And I had 65kg of resin from here a few weeks ago, not sure what they keep in casting resin though.

Jason

Thanks Jason. I have bookmarked items to follow up next week

A 9"x4"x 3"H box I estimate has a surface area of 130 sq ins. including lid ~A base plate of 6mm ply and 7mm thick timber blocks would mean an open cubic measure of 33 cu.inches less timber blocks taking up 80%, would need resin to accommodate around 7 cu.inches.
Any idea how mus resin mix is needed for 7 cu. inches?

Base of box not included in calculations.

130sq inches equals 812.5 sq cm, if we said the "boards" were 10mm or 1.0cm thick we would need 812cc which is 0.812 litres.

As the resin has a SG of approx 1.25 then .812x1.25 = 1.01kg of resin.

As at least 50% of this volume will be chunks of wood then buying 1kg of resin sould be enough.

For the sides it may be easier to cast them as a block then resaw on the bandsaw.

Had another thought on the "chipboard" look, why not make a box, cover with PVA and sprinkle with sawdust, would have the added bonus of hiding any iffy joints :D :wink:

Jason

If any forum member wishes to post a piece of timber to include in the mosaic around postage stamp size if you like signed, (not less than 7mm thick) aiming for 7 mm thickness of mosaic.

jasonB":27q1gm5b said:

Jason

You can also throw in a few brass and/or copper filings. Okay you will need to hone your tools again, but the metallic finish looks original.

:)
John

Made a start on the mosaic box, The first piece of timber to form underlay of mosaic blocks a piece of 5 ply 6mm thick around 32” long 5” wide prepared and mouldings in sapele for top and bottom of facing pieces also cut, dressed to 8mm thick and glued in position on former together with the first end piece. (This end piece will have to be cut off and a longer piece fitted so that it will go to the top and bottom edges) The sapele came from our old window frames and over the past year I have not seen one knot or flaw in this timber.
Photographs below in sequence.

36mmply5ply.jpg

4fiveinchesx33long.jpg

5somesapeleformoldwindowframe.jpg

6formerandmouldings.jpg

7mouldingtobaseplateandformer.jpg

82ndmoulding.jpg

9topbotttommon.jpg

10firstcornermouldMitres.jpg

Day 2.
Went to my scrapbox again and took out any piece that had got a face dressing.

11infill.jpg

Took them to the bandsaw and set the fence just over 7mm. and proceeded to resaw a selection of timbers.

12downto7mmontablesaw.jpg

The sawing went without any mishap every piece has cut cleanly, pics. show left the pieces to be used and the right hand the waste, I suppose I shall have to put them in the scrapbox in case I need some filling in bits.

13-4.jpg

Laid the scraps on the former to ensure there would be enough cut to cover same.

14-4.jpg

The first 9” of mosaic.

15-4.jpg

Any comments or suggestions on appearance of mosaic appreciated.

Thinking about the blocks, I'm wondering if I ought to cut a batch of blocks in a haphazard manner and make them fit the space.
The blocks in the picture above were cut to fit the space.
So today I will try the second method.

Also fitting them in to a frame space means a straight line is created, so might lay blocks out on some ply and then they would be perhaps more eye appealing if the framing was then put down.(after a cut line)

Perhaps we could send you some scraps - I'd include a relief carving that would appear on the outside.......

Come to think of it, a composite box with various donated pieces might make quite a nice item to raffle for charity or something.......

Thanks Nick.

I will pm you.

I am quite happy to give the box either to the forum or what ever moderators suggest.

I am making one for the Auistralian forum and promises of timber have been sent to me.

Would be delighted to receive any small pieces of timber that have a dressed face and between 7.2mm to 8mm. thick.

John Jowitt
104 duchy drive.
Paignton. devon
TQ31EX

I finished cutting mosaics for one box today, These pieces were all cut to fit base former.

16-5.jpg

I am expecting to receive some timber offcuts from forum members so another box will be made in addition to above.

This first box comprises.
Oak, sweet chesnut, sycamore, br. mahogany, black walnut, sapele, teak.
All off cuts, and some from that diagonal box last week.
I'll never be able to throw a bit of scrap again. :wink:

Latest posts

Back