Its that time of year again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Freezing in the workshop today !!!!!! It made it worse that i was stood at the assembly bench all day so i wasn't working up a sweat . So ..... Workshop heaters . Any new ones out anyone can recommend ? What do others use ?
Myself i have a portable electric blower that i can pick up and take out of the workshop when im not in there ( Im paranoid about fires as i've already had one this year ).

I just bought a HotSpot woodburning stove, in fact it arrived in the post today. I hear a number of the others on here have them. Not looking forward to cutting a hole in my sheds ceiling but hopefully it wont be a problem.

Will let you know how well it heats up the shed.

Gary

I have a spray booth in mine, start that up and it sucks any heat out in about 30 seconds!!!

Hi Gary,
I think you'll find the 'Hot Spot' very useful in your shop. I have a wood burner, I was a bit sceptical at first but the nice 'dry' heat is great & helps keep the dreaded rust away.

I think it's worth mentioning that you should (Must?) sweep up around the stove at the end of each day. I don't find this too onerous & it's all you really need to do to avoid a fire risk.

I use a 1.5Kw oil filled rad, running off a electronic timer, set to run for 1.5 hours in the morning and evening. My shop is fully insulated so it doesn't take long to warm up but if I want some instant heat I've got a 1Kw convector heater that I can plug in when I'm working - the beauty of the oil filled rad is that you can leave it unattended, so the 'shop is warm in the evening for my sawdust producing activities - Rob

I asked about the hotspot last year and decided against it as the dust in my workshop could still be flying around hours after i've left . Someone did a test leaving a bit of timber on top of the hotspot and it chared , that put me off.

:cry: Snap here too in Germany its dropped to 5C shed has very little
insulation, and as I hope to demo it in the next 6 months it's not even worth putting some in .
SOLUTION

move the workbench and all hand tools inside into the living room :)

good thing I live on my own here and visiting g/f's just look at me and shrug their shoulders :lol:
well it is my home I say to them and all they want is a space to chillout and sleep , so I think I'll leave the tools out of the bedroom for a while more :twisted:
Senior said
I have a spray booth in mine, start that up and it sucks any heat out in about 30 seconds!!!
snap ! :( but in the new shop thats not going to be a problem :)

have fun in your cold shed

les chicken":2cv2v4mm said:
Hotspot

Lovely and cosy, fired mine up the other day I did not want to go back in the house.

Les

Les, I've been considering a Hotspot for my new workshop which is under construction.
Is it feasible/safe to re-fuel a hotspot with fresh saw dust when it is alight?

TIA

Bob

Mr Grimsdale i now have the image of you as Compo from last of the summer wine :lol:
Houtslager , i have also had a workshop in every room of the house but as i've done the house up the tools and machines have made it to the workshop . Also im end of terrace so the noise must have been a nightmare for next door :D

Following the fire i had in the workshop id say fibreglass as it holds back the flames but celotex is the way to go now according to council regs .

No its not cheap , funny isn't it when i bought my house a condition of the mortgage was i remove all the polystyrene tiles from the ceilings but now if i want an extension a have to put polystyrene inbetween the floor joists and foam between the ceiling joists or on top of them . Don't get me started on loft conversions ......

Celotex isn't polystyrene, and for a plastic foam it is pretty fire resistant. I doubt the byproducts are pleasant when it does eventually go, but that'll be later than with polystyrene

jason, at the risk of losing my jacuzzi privileges, what about
insulating the shed first, not least because your back shed is cold even in the summer :lol: :lol:

i wonder whether those convector radiators etc work???

paul :wink:

I have one convector heater in my workshop as I have it insulated ( the workshop 8-[ ) and that is all I need :D now

Shultzy, try googling for Kingspan, same spec as Celotex but a bit more reasonable price, at least when I bought some a couple of years ago !

Cheers, Paul. :D

woodbloke":1asq20cr said:
I use a 1.5Kw oil filled rad, running off a electronic timer, set to run for 1.5 hours in the morning and evening. My shop is fully insulated so it doesn't take long to warm up but if I want some instant heat I've got a 1Kw convector heater that I can plug in when I'm working - the beauty of the oil filled rad is that you can leave it unattended, so the 'shop is warm in the evening for my sawdust producing activities - Rob

Rob..why can you leave an oilfilled rad unattended and not a convector heater? To my simple eyes, their relative saftey is the same (unless you put something on top of the convector)

Roger

Back