It happend again - table saw accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Timber

The Airbus stuff was only to show that I don't thrust computers to protect me (as in the Sawstop), it's better to use the correct "table saw technics".

You are so correct...using the rip fence as a stop for the miter gauge is the "best" dangerous technic...

Niki":xq0aksmb said:
You are so correct...using the rip fence as a stop for the miter gauge is the "best" dangerous technic...
You'll love me saying this, then. It is standard practice on panel saws to use the rip fence as a length stop for making repeat cuts - and it's safe practice. The reason it's safe is that the actual fence blade is withdrawn to a position well in front of the blade so that there is no possibility of pinching between the blade and fence. This cannot be done on straight through rip fence such as the Biesmeyer, etc

Scrit

timbar":3cnnkomk said:
Or you can clamp a dummy fence on that does not extend past the front of the blade.
True, but that involves thinking through and being aware of the (potential) problem to start with........

Scrit":2lbfzb6x said:
You'll love me saying this, then.
Scrit
You just shocked me... :roll:

You see what you did to me...I became to be more rabbi that the rabbi... :) :) :)

Look how I'm cutting small pieces (floating tenons).

Regards
niki

M24.jpg

Scrit":4rbc1cmj said:
Niki":4rbc1cmj said:
I became to be more rabbi that the rabbi... :) :) :)
Oi vay!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's what I thought when I read your reply but, I was not sure that you understand Yiddish :lol:

niki

I don't have a table saw yet but I Think I'm going to have nightmares tonight :( , Please can somebody suggest me a good Book, Video, Article, Etc... about Table Saw safety

A book that I can recommend is "Table saw magic" by Jim Tolpin.

About articles, just Google "Circular saw safety" and "Table saw safety" and you will find many articles.

One article that I would strongly recommend is;
"Circular saw benches - safe working practices", small PDF file but contains a lot.
You can find it here;
www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis16.pdf

niki

Scrit":v4otu0cz said:
This cannot be done on straight through rip fence such as the Biesmeyer, etc Scrit

Sorry to dissagree Scrit but this works fine and perfectly safely on the Biesmeyer... :wink:

STA70558Large.jpg

seaco":zshfniox said:
Scrit":zshfniox said:
This cannot be done on straight through rip fence such as the Biesmeyer, etc Scrit

Sorry to dissagree Scrit but this works fine and perfectly safely on the Biesmeyer... :wink:
The point was that you need to make or add an attachment to a Biesmeyer style fence - you don't need to do that with a Euro style fence. You could just as easily clamp a block of wood to the top of the machine - but that also wouldn't be using the rip fence - so on the fence alone my comment is still valid, especially as you're having to modify your fence to work in a safe manner.......

If the design is so intelligent, why do you need to modify it to do what a decent fence will do from the off?

Scrit

Well the addition takes seconds to attach probably quicker than altering your fence and all other work is fine with this fence, never had a problem... :wink:

It might be marginally faster (assuming, of course, you can remember where you stored it), but does it read directly off your rip fence scale and will it also work as a thin material fence? The answer is probably no to both of those questions.

Scrit

Here we go again Scrit tit for tat, you use your fence and I'll happily use mine!... :wink:

seaco":54utqsmj said:
Here we go again Scrit tit for tat, you use your fence and I'll happily use mine!... :wink:

There seems to be an awful lot of the professional woodworkers leaving
the forum at the moment, I wonder why.

How can you tell they are leaving the forum? Over what period have they been leaving?

Obeone":2q7kc82m said:
seaco":2q7kc82m said:

There seems to be an awful lot of the professional woodworkers leaving
the forum at the moment, I wonder why.

I'm doing a job at the airport this week, if you need any advice :)

Dom

Latest posts

Back