Issue with Todd Doors' product - suggestions for alternative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjalloq

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought a set of 5 doors for my renovation and having taken delivery of them today, have noticed what I think is a defect, but from looking closely at their website it looks like it's how they make them.

It's a contemporary door style with V-grooves along the width. The door is veneered but the solid edging shows through the end of the V-groove. Pic attached. Anyone know of a similar style door where they don't make them like this and instead veneer the whole groove?

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20171018_231051.jpg
    IMG_20171018_231051.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 177
When you're aiming for perfection it's hard to not look at these little things every time you walk past. :(

Don't look for perfection, the closer you get to it the further you are away.

The groves cut through the veneer into the backing so you will always see the edging, unless you cut 0.6mm out of the edging in each grove and find some matching veneer to glue in.

Pete

the doors can be made so you can have the v grooves in the face without seeing the solid lipping but it is made in an unusual way. You apply the solid lippings to the chipboard blank first, then route grooves to receive the solid timber fillets. You then veneer over the edges of the door to hide the ends of the fillets. Then veneer the faces of the door. Finally route the v grooves into the faces through the veneer into the timber fillets. Thereby achieving the desired appearance.
Pm me if you would like to discuss this further.

Most of Told doors stuff comes from LPD doors, who supply the overwhelming majority of door sellers in the UK. That means you're pretty much on a hiding to nothing trying to find a supplier in the UK who will have doors made differently from these.

Go bespoke, and accept the (huge) price differential, or live with them as they are.

Thanks Setch, saves me wasting time looking. What's the ballpark for a custom door? Perhaps it's time for me to get a veneer press.

I don't agree with this, bespoke doors are not hugely more expensive than Todd doors.
it just depends whether the price differential is worth it for the purchaser.
I work for a uk door manufacturer and I can assure you our prices are competitive, it's all about efficient manufacturing to keep costs down.

Back