Is your Google-fu stronger than mine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
If all else fails, how about using your steel rod and using the clamp. mechanism from something like this, Axminster Trade Clamps Forged Flat Bar Clamp 200 x 80mm

there are much cheaper ones around to experiment on, that one was just an ‘easy find’. You just need to find one where the metal at the sliding bar is thick enough to take a 15mm hole, then it would be a hole to drill and a hole to drill and tap and a suitable locking handle.

Just thoughts!

If all else fails, how about using your steel rod and using the clamp. mechanism from something like this, Axminster Trade Clamps Forged Flat Bar Clamp 200 x 80mm

there are much cheaper ones around to experiment on, that one was just an ‘easy find’. You just need to find one where the metal at the sliding bar is thick enough to take a 15mm hole, then it would be a hole to drill and a hole to drill and tap and a suitable locking handle.

Just thoughts!
Thanks. Most of those type of clamps seem to have rather narrow bars and so drilling out might be hard.
I think I may do something with a piece of hardwood and bolt and T-nut; I just thought a purpose made would be tidier!

If you have suitable 15mm bar - can you fabricate something out of hardwood for the 'clamp' part? I know bolts are the same pitch of thread, but assuming that mortises come in batches once you set the clamp for the first one, it will just need a small amount of loosening and tightening each time you slip a new piece of wood in. Get a cheap adjustable spanner and leave it with that jig.

Just a suggestion,

If it's just the aluminium looking bit you're after, and you're in no particular rush (I may be off work for at least another 4 weeks + any covid related isolations), they look easy enough to make on the cnc gear at work.

If you could send a quick sketch detailing exactly what you want - to avoid any confusion - I'd be happy to make you a couple.

Why can't you just put a bit of 15mm silver steel in the makita clamp? It's only held by the wing nut at the top. If the rod is 0.87mm smaller than the original I'm sure it won't hurt.

Back