Is this legal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too many years of working in licensed trade - it's silly person season. Everyone thinks they can do and say exactly as they wish because they've had three pints and it's xmas. Atheism has an influence as well. Roll on 2nd Jan.

Phill,

I had the same, with the only exception that my house didn't exist!

My house was being built and I guess that the address had been registered enabling the contractors working on behalf of TV licencing to send out bulk letter to addresses that weren't shown as having TV licences. When the house was completed I received all of the post that had been stored over the past few months,consisting of mostly threatening letter from these folks. It also stated that enforcement officers had been around but couldn't get an answer during periods when all they would have seen was a field.

I carried on getting the letters after transferring my TV licence and eventually after tiring of speaking to people and writing a couple of letters, I wrote to the local MP. I'm slightly embarrassed of wasting someone's time like this but it had the desired effect. I had several letters of a apology from TV licencing and haven't been bothered since.

Chris

SO the OP has three options

1. Buy a licence
2. Tell them he has no telly
3. Do nothing

Option 1 is not the right one since he doesn't have a telly, it'll get them off his back though !
Option 2 is what they want but them might check up again to make sure he's not fibbing just to get them off his back.
Option 3 is unlikely to get them off his back in my opinion.

Back