Is this a pile of scrap?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
As my family know I like playing with wood, I have been given a number of items, some good, some not so great. I have politely accepted all offers but now have a pile of, what is to me, the not so good. Perhaps folks could take a look and suggest what to do with them - ebay, rubbish dump or PM me if anyone sees anything that takes your fancy.

250420273_7b43ef464d.jpg

250420268_5b0699ee8d.jpg

MOD edit - Simon, You are not referencing the pictures correctly. The picture that is now showing was done by right clicking your image on Flickr to find then use the properties found to paste here, then applying the image tags. Try the others - if you get stuck, shout. Waterhead37

SVB Edit - Thanks Mod - I think I am away and flying now!

I would hazzard a definite NO to that question, but Alf will see this soon and be a little more definitive

If that brace is the size I think it is, I'll take it off your hands right now. Not scrap in any case. D'you know how to measure a brace's sweep? If not, what size are those squares :wink: The bits look like the usual assortment of mainly Irwins with a Jennings pattern or two, but it's hard to say more without close ups of their working ends. One of those things I'd snap up if they were handy, but not worth the postage. :(

Saws, nothing particularly old, but some potential users. Left to right; coupl'a back saws of what I think of as the Spear & Jackson flavour, look like they'd probably clean up as users but 'tis always hard to tell from long distance photos. None of the handsaws look remarkable; either newer ones or "second line" older I think. They also look like they'd clean up okay, except maybe the one on the left which looks rusted away at the heel? If they're kinked, or bent at all really, probably not worth the effort unless you're as nutty as me, but certainly the middle three look to have potential for someone. Might be sharpening practice for a new saw doctor if you could give us the tooth count. Have a look at the saw nuts on all of them, particularly that rusty one, if you chuck them though, 'cos they might help out someone else with a missing nut or medallion. The second from the right is an Eclipse something -or-other I think - BugBear'll know if no-one else does; he seems to be able to remember Eclipse stuff better than I. Possibly useful, if I could recall what it's for... The hardpoint, well if it's sharp keep it, otherwise in the nearest bin.

Any visible maker's marks and numbers on anything always helps with these identifications, btw. :D

Cheers, Alf

14 inches at a guess? Great for teaching woodwork to children and ladies!

That Eclipse saw is the one where you can adjust the angle of the blade to the handle - came with a selection of blades IIRC.

waterhead37":3up9j5o2 said:
That Eclipse saw is the one where you can adjust the angle of the blade to the handle - came with a selection of blades IIRC.

Yes, you're right Chris. I've got a couple - had them for years. Quite useful because you can still find new blades to fit them (the fitting tends to be common to various makes, Eclipse, Stanley, etc) and the adjustable angle feature can be useful sometimes for things that are hard to get at. The original blade would cut through both wood and metal so useful if cutting rough stuff. I'd hang on to it if it were mine :wink:

Paul

Edit. Just checked, for the sticklers for detail :lol: it's an Eclipse 66. They changed the pattern of the handle slightly over the years. The most useful change was to make the blade tightening knob easier to grip. The handle has always been metal - the similar Stanley saw used horrible plastic :wink:

waterhead37":cqjlwup9 said:
Actually very useful for shifting recalcitrant screws.....

Scrit

Who thinks he's revealing way too much hand tool usage for his own good, here.... :wink:

Scrit":lvl1blkb said:
waterhead37":lvl1blkb said:
Actually very useful for shifting recalcitrant screws.....
I was thinking chair-making. I struggled with my 10" on the leg mortises :(

Cheers, Alf

Thinking size does matter - sometimes... :wink:

Alf":2rfyrmsx said:
I was thinking chair-making. I struggled with my 10" on the leg mortises :(
Ah, for me a techno area (i.e. big machine :oops: )

Scrit

Latest posts

Back