Is this a decent bench grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgethin

Reaction score
I have seen the bench grinder on Ebay. Ferm Electric Bench Grinder 250W Twin 150mm Grinding Stones
It comes with a P36 & P80 stones, is it suitable for sharpening woodturning tools.

Hi
From the minuscule amount of information I know about turning, correct me if I'm wrong folks! ...
Is that the bevel is a useful tool for reference
I'm not sure if the pros rely on the bevel on anything, but for some chisels I suspect a
"non hollow grind" is preferred if not essential.
Therefore you'd probably want to get an 8" grinder

Maybe look for a used one with kaput wheels, I can't imagine much going wrong on one
and get yourself some better wheels
In order of cheapness first...
the white, the pink, and then the CBN wheels

Good luck
Tom

dgethin":1xz8pzh4 said:
I have seen the bench grinder on Ebay. Ferm Electric Bench Grinder 250W Twin 150mm Grinding Stones
It comes with a P36 & P80 stones, is it suitable for sharpening woodturning tools.
IMO, just about. The fine wheel is 60 grit which is a little on the coarse side. 80 grit would have been better.
"FERM the DIY name you can trust" note the DIY.
You will probably need a jig to grind your spindle & bowl gouges. The spindle roughing gouge & all the others can be done from a flat rest.
You will probably also need some method of truing the wheels, either devil stone or diamond.

I would strongly advise to get a slow speed grinder with white wheels and a sharpening jig. I use a Creusen and the sorby jig and for the past 20 years has been all I needed for fast repeatable grinds on all turning tools. Like a lathe it is an investment so get it right as sharpening can be the Achilles heel for some, make life easy to start with.

I would definitely recommend going for an 8" grinder one white wheel,learn how to sharpen without jigs it's a skill that is well worth learning.As I have said before on this forum develop a skill and you will not need to line the pockets of those trying to sell you an easy solution to grinding a profile on a bowl gouge.Get yourself a decent tool rest such as the Odonnell one that's all you really need ,try to get a grinder that will take wide wheels,expensive but spend right and you will only need to spend once,Sorry if it's not the answer you wanted to hear but it's only my opinion.

dgethin":txmomit2 said:
I suspect that the wheels will be Grey Aluminium Oxide (Carborundum) , suitable for general steel removal, not really suitable for getting an adequate finish on HSS turning tools.

You need to look for a machine fitted with a White Oxide Wheel in the 80-120 grit range, preferably a wide (40mm) wheel to give you a better finish and easier use with any jigs.

Cost wise a 150mm (6") wheel machine will more likely be in an affordable budget and is no problem as far as bevel curvature.
Slow speed is not essential, heating of cutting edges is down to poor technique and dull cutting abrasive on the wheel, Keep the wheel dressed if necessary to free up sharp grit and very light contact pressure and a faster wheel will do the job no problem.

Main problem with budget grinders bought on cost is the wheel balance, if it vibrates then the wheels are not balanced.

May just need a light dressing of wheels to true up but can be bad enough to warrant rejection of the machine as not fit for purpose.

Back