Is There A Site Problem ?.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a problem with this sight, when I click on any option within the site my computer freezes for approx one minute, then I get the following message within a pop up window.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Internet Explorer.

Stop Running This Script.

A script on this page is causing internet explorer to run slowly.
If it continues to run your computer might become unresponsive.

YES NO
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondering if any one else is experiencing the problem.
It is making it almost impossible to use the site.

Many thanks.

Chris R.

Its prolly all the blerdy flashing adverts and that very irritating 'showcase' side bar on the right, when I open UKW on my browser my CPU cooling fan comes on (hammer)

I've been trying to get action on this problem for sometime, only way round it at the moment is to run I.E. InPrivate Filtering mode (under the safety tab in IE8) That's what I do.
Drops the Ad-Sense stuff.

Not a problem in other browsers so suspect it is something to do with extra security checking that I.E. does before clearing items for display.

Thanks all.

Freezing for even longer this evening.

Take care.

Chris R.

For a couple of months plus now my XP machine with IE8 has had a 20 second plus delay and it sends the processor/fan into overdrive until they load.

Checked again a whilst making this post and the delay was 1 minute 25 seconds before full page load.

Back to setting IE to InPrivate Filtering :(

wow you two must be the last users of IE in the whole world! Try chrome its great!

adidat

adidat":1pe7zy6m said:
wow you two must be the last users of IE in the whole world! Try chrome its great!

adidat
When you see as many computers as I do, you see that ALL the browsers have their own issues

Having said that, I just tried replicating what CHJ posted and while it took only 10 - 15 seconds for the ads to load (still a significant delay), it then took me a couple of minutes to read the post on houndstooth dovetails - does that count ?

Try the following to see if it helps - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

Grayorm":uxf2sp44 said:
No probs with chrome
Chrome etc are all able to run latest version on XP (nearly 11yo btw) and therefore benefit from all the fixes over the couple of years since MS got bored of XP

Thanks all, but not being computer savvy, I guess I will have to live with it, strange thing is, this has only started happing over the last couple or three days.

When you are referring to IE, I assume that you are referring to (Internet Explorer).

I have (Microsoft Internet Explorer). My service provider is (Tesco net), they issue (Microsoft Internet Explorer) as part of their package, I have seen other systems discussed on other forums so am I correct in assuming the other service providers use different systems.

I will check with my sister, to see which system she has, her service provider is (BT). I have been thinking for a while about changing my service provider because the Tesco price has gone up to £20.00 p/month and the speed is only about .9 Mb on a good day, they say its my local exchange, but my sisters internet goes through the same exchange and is faster, so maybe this is the time to change, it would have to be BT, because as far as I know, they are the only service provider who will provide an on site engineer to set up the system for you.

Take care.

Chris R.

To stop ads in browsers just do a search for "custom host file" It takes seconds to implement but blocks 90% of adverts. All it does is when the page loads it has a list of advertising sites and ip addresses. If it sees one it changes it to your own PC so nothing loads where the advert should be. Instant page loads!

Gerry

Gerry":24eub36b said:
To stop ads in browsers just do a search for "custom host file" It takes seconds to implement but blocks 90% of adverts. All it does is when the page loads it has a list of advertising sites and ip addresses. If it sees one it changes it to your own PC so nothing loads where the advert should be. Instant page loads!

Gerry
I have a custom HOST File, unfortunately it does not solve the problem with UKW viewed through I.E. only selecting Inprivate Filtering stops the stalling of IE.8 on my machines in XP.

As a matter of interest, these are the sites and the specific site functions that InPrivate Filtering currently blocks in my I.E.8 Browser.
ipf1.jpg
ipf2.jpg
ipf3.jpg
ipf4.jpg

If advertising loads without encroaching on my site viewing then I can ignore it if I so wish, when it forces me to take alternate action or move to alternate browsers to allow reasonable use of a site then advertising deserves being ignored completely AFAIC.

Attachments

• ipf1.jpg
    ipf1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 744
  • ipf2.jpg
    ipf2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 744
  • ipf3.jpg
    ipf3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 744
  • ipf4.jpg
    ipf4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 744
If advertising loads without encroaching on my site viewing then I can ignore it if I so wish, when it forces me to take alternate action or move to alternate browsers to allow reasonable use of a site then advertising deserves being ignored completely AFAIC.
Ironic isn't it as Google et all state that this sort of advertising (and its associated tracking) is supposed to 'enhance your experience' and look how many references to google sites there are !

Not quite on track, but I am unable to install apps on my android phone as 1st requirement is an account with google - they really are watching you you know .....

Dear all,

Just seen this post.

I agree with the 1st post - I've been having exactly this problem, and also only for the last couple of days.

Like the 1st post writer I suspect, I am not at all savvy when it comes to PCs - they are a necessary evil which simply allow me to do my "work work" plus gain lots of info and enterntainment from Forums like this one.

Before any of you PC geeks (no disrespect intended) start rabbitting on about Chrome and Mac and all the rest of it, let me just say that I've only upgraded my Internet Explorer from version 7 to version 8 just recently (becasue I was forced into it by a particular web site) and I've never heard of version 10! I have no idea how to get hold of Chrome or any other of these miracle cures, and even if I did, I bet you all a pound to a pinch of anything you like that if I did go to all the trouble of finding it/them and downloading and starting it/them, then I'd then have all sorts of other troubles in making it run. I've been resisting ANY updates and/or changes fiercely for ages now, and that includes a determination to stick to MS XP for as long as I possibly can (and I keep resisting all the upgrades to Skype, Acrobat, and god knows what else)!

Why? Because although there is no doubt that SOME updates do have some genuine advantages and improvements over earlier versions, IMHO, the advantages are generally pretty small and the VAST majority of the changes are just made to make the thing look "prettier" and justify a higher price. And this "prettiness" generally comes at a huge cost to the user - e.g. all the commands and drop down menus are in different places and often have slightly different functions, etc, etc, etc. The net result is that poor old me, as a self-confessed Luddite who refuses to bow to the generally profit-only motivated blandishments of the software marketing flower arrangers has simply resulted in another period of many months while yours truly slowly but surely gets used to the "new" and (supposedly better) way of doing the simple daily tasks - a process that usually takes me MONTHS before I'm up and comfortable again!

OK, anti software update rant over!!!!

Now can someone who knows all this stuff AND who can put directions into simple clear step by step English PLEASE kindly take the time to explain to me what I have to do to solve this annoying problem which only happens with this Forum and only over the last 2 or 3 days - I stress that I have changed absolutely nothing at my end and don't even know how to put my Internet Explorer into private mode or whatever it's called, and certainly have no idea how to produce a list of all those advertising sites that someone has listed above.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is computer savvy eniough and has the kindness and patience to get this crusty old curmudgeon back up and running properly on what is to me, one of the most interesting and valuable Forums around - UKW.

AES

AES":2ld3s0cs said:
I've been resisting ANY updates and/or changes fiercely for ages now, and that includes a determination to stick to MS XP for as long as I possibly can (and I keep resisting all the upgrades to Skype, Acrobat, and god knows what else)!
AES

For god's sake don't go anywhere near Windows 8! Your head will explode! :evil:

Back