Is There A Site Problem ?.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In one word- Chrome. No ads either but I shouldn't say that....lovely azur blue space to my right.

Personally I do not object to tracking my web movements, I usually get offers of goods and services at offer prices cheaper than my original search. So some web delays are the price I pay in time for those tracking events.

Swings and roundabouts.

I never buy from Amazon and others at my first search, they always come back with a discount or so called sale.

Thanks AES.

I completely agree with your post, and you have put it better than I could ever have done.

Don’t worry about (In Private) as it makes no difference on my computer, wither its on or off, this same annoying pop up message occurs on this site, together with the frustrating delays, and yesterday it locked up my computer completely, the only way I could clear, was to switch off at the mains supply, not good.

So there is clearly a site problem.

Take care.

Chris R. (OP)

ChrisR":3ju140tq said:
.....Don’t worry about (In Private) as it makes no difference on my computer, wither its on or off, this same annoying pop up message occurs on this site, together with the frustrating delays, and yesterday it locked up my computer completely, the only way I could clear, was to switch off at the mains supply, not good.

So there is clearly a site problem.

Take care.

Chris R. (OP)

What Pop-up? there should be no pop-up from UKW other than if you have opted for PM message alert via Pop-up.

If you are getting advertising Pop-up or similar we need to know, smacks of some sort of problem your end linked via cookies to the UKW site.

Can you upload a screen shot of what you are seeing please.

Sounds like you are talking about something totally different to the ad-sense panel on the right of the screen.

CHJ.

The pop up message I am getting is as the blue text on my original post of this thread it is contained in the usual Windows type fault box, which I can’t replicate.
I don’t know how to put a screen shot into a post, sorry.
The ad-sense panel, sorry again, I don’t know what that is.

I find it strange that now its trying to be swung to a problem at my end, if that is the case then it is even more strange that other posters on this tread, are experiencing the same problems.

Further to this I refer you to your first post on this thread on the 04/07/13 at 17.47,
You wrote, copy quote from your post reads :-

(I've been trying to get action on this problem for sometime, only way round it at the moment is to run I.E. InPrivate Filtering mode (under the safety tab in IE8) That's what I do.
Drops the Ad-Sense stuff.) end of quote.

From that, I assume at that time you fully understood what I was referring to.

One other point I am not experiencing this problem with any other web site I am visiting.

Again I am sorry I can not give you an exact screen shot of this pop up fault box, that is far beyond my computer skill level, which is fairly basic. :?

Take care.

Chris R.

The alert message box you refer to was actioned by the windows operating system on your machine because it timed out trying to load the forum page, it would most likely appear because of the adverts called by the script running in the lower right hand page column. Something has changed with one or more of those off site scripts recently that is causing even more delay than usual.

Your latter reference to pop-up lead me to believe that you were seeing an additional screen window opening as is generated by advertising or other software message systems and nothing to do with with the function you are referring to.

The reason that Chrome etc aren't showing this is that they come with an ad blocker which means they don't try to load the problem ad

If you want to install one of the other browsers, google you're preference (Firefox or Chrome see to be favourite's but I reckon this might start a mini debate :) ) - you are in no way tied to that browser just because your isp provided it

If not, you will have to look for an ad blocker addon to the version of IE that you have - sorry but I don't use one so can't recommend one to you

Or, as you have already said, you can put up with it like I do

I'm afraid I don't understand why selecting the InPrivate Filtering option under the Safety tab in I.E.8 does not improve things.

It's my default option whilst using I.E.8 and solves the loading problems, albeit at the expense of some of the UKW search functions not working.

As has been said before other browsers have differing options and settings, I use Chrome, Firefox & Safari at times but none of them function without doing things to my machine that I prefer to clean up from time to time.

@CHJ:
Thanks for posting that screen shot showing how to set up for Private viewing. Unfortunately however (see below) this makes not a bit of difference - every time I want to move to another post or another topic, or scroll down, or post a reply (like now) my computer freezes up (the little blue bar down the bottom shows that "something" is happening - VERY slowly) and apart from that the computer is frozen for a long time. Eventually the message about a script appears (just as ChrisR described in his initial post) and when I'm asked if I want to stop running that script and press "Yes" then the little blue bar down below becomes full and I'm free to do whatever I wish until the next time it happens - i.e. the next time I want to vist another topic, scroll down, etc, etc. I haven't timed it but the freezing lasts a long time and makes useage very slow and most frustrating. Also, just like Chris R this has only started happening over the last 2 or 3 days, and also just like ChrisR, I am not having this problem on any other web site I visit and not have I experienced it before on UKW until, as above, the last couple of days.

@Monkeybiter:
I can assure you that I have no intention whatsoever of getting anywhere near Windows 8 (nearer that is than I already am)! My wife (who is a much less curmudgeonly person than I am - in fact she's much nicer person than me all round) is someone who just loves the "latest & greatest". As a result, when she needed a new PC recently she invested in a new big touch screen desktop machine complete with Windows 8. This sits in the same office that I use. As I said, she's a much nicer person than me, but you should hear the most unladylike cursing and swearing coming from her side of the office! I've stood looking over her shoulder and I don't even understand the start screen, never mind some of the other screens she (eventually) manages to pull up. As said, I'll stick to XP for just as long as I possible can, you can trust me on that one (and I just don't care if MS stop supporting XP next year)!.

@Noel:
Thanks for your very (un)helpful one word post "Chrome"! What is it, and assuming I get frustrated enough to try it, where do I find it, how do I install it, and how do I make it work please?
Could you by any chance referring to a thing called Google Chromium???
If so, then thanks very much but NO thanks, I was stupid enough to believe some hype I read and accidentally ended up with it as a trial on my PC. It was (for me) the worst Internet Browser I've ever used, bar none. Or am I (genuinely) thinking of something else? (another one of my software gripes - the stupid, non-relevant and often quite similar-sounding names used for various programs)?

@DM65:
Thanks for that. Rather more helpful than Noel (above) but please see my comments above. Despite all the comments to the contrary (and I'm certainly NO Bill Gates/MS fan), I've never really had any problems with any of the MS Internet Explorer versions that I've used.

@ChrisR:
Thanks for the comment. I got really wound up and felt I'd probably gone too far. I would add that personally I don't find the ads at all disturbing - I just ignore them. But as you say, Private View (or whatever it's called) does NOT work - it doesn't stop the freezing problem, NOR does it stop the ads - right now at the top of my screen I see an ad for veneers and on the RH side panel I see an ad for a Swiss Made BADOG CNC (it says). But as I say, I don't mind the ads, and if that is the "price" I have to pay for having a Forum that is genuinely so helpful and entertaining, it's well worth it IMHO.

Finally - @CHJ or anyone else who wants to try and help me get UKW working without constant freeze ups:

I'm the (not very) proud owner of a program I was advised to buy, "WinZip System Utilities". It is scheduled to run every Sunday evening and after running, set to fix all the problems it finds, all by itself. I had an awful problem getting it to install and run at the beginning, the On Line Help was useless (as they usually are IMHO), and the Help Line (in USA - thank God for Skype) was next to useless. But I did eventually get it all fixed up and it's been running well (as far as I know) for about 6 months now. Although it is due to run itself tomorrow evening, I decided to do the "Registry Fix" and the "Privacy Scan" sections this evening, before posting this (those 2 sections don't take very long to run). It told me afterwards that it fixed 43 Registry problems (whatever they may be) and something over 200 (I honestly forget the actual number) Privacy problems such as cookies, etc, etc.

But, yes, you guessed it, "AES rides the software camel again" - the UKW site is still freezing exactly as it has been for the last 2 to 3 days. And just before posting this I also visited a couple of other web sites - no problems.

So sorry CHJ (I think you're the Forum owner, correct?) but just like Chris R does, I believe the problem is at your end, not mine!

Krgds to all
AES

AES":1ms9igka said:
Thanks for posting that screen shot showing how to set up for Private viewing. Unfortunately however (see below) this makes not a bit of difference - every time I want to move to another post or another topic, or scroll down, or post a reply (like now) my computer freezes up (the little blue bar down the bottom shows that "something" is happening - VERY slowly) and apart from that the computer is frozen for a long time. Eventually the message about a script appears (just as ChrisR described in his initial post) and when I'm asked if I want to stop running that script and press "Yes" then the little blue bar down below becomes full and I'm free to do whatever I wish until the next time it happens - i.e. the next time I want to vist another topic, scroll down, etc, etc. I haven't timed it but the freezing lasts a long time and makes useage very slow and most frustrating. Also, just like Chris R this has only started happening over the last 2 or 3 days, and also just like ChrisR, I am not having this problem on any other web site I visit and not have I experienced it before on UKW until, as above, the last couple of days.
That sounds a lot worse than what I am experiencing - I only seem to have this problem when going to the homepage to logon

Try going to your start button, click on RUN and in there type "iexplore \safe" (without the quotes and note the space before \)

See if the site runs better in that window - let us know if there's any improvement

No I am not the site owner and have no means of doing anything about the forum software or the advertising calls made by the site.
I like several others just give up my personal time to try and tidy things up and report any problems forward to admin.

I run with I.E all the time on two different machines running good old XP both with the latest updates.

Apart from the niggle with the advertising panel I have no problems accessing the UKW server to do thread and member housekeeping.

Everybody's machine will have a different amalgam of software and processor threads running, without actually sitting at the keyboard and exploring what is going on it is virtually impossible to diagnose.

Dumping the current advert panel on UKW would be a good start, but that in no way will sort out the root problem as to why a particular machine setup really hates it so much.

AES":2neniq7c said:
@Noel:
Thanks for your very (un)helpful one word post "Chrome"! What is it, and assuming I get frustrated enough to try it, where do I find it, how do I install it, and how do I make it work please?
Could you by any chance referring to a thing called Google Chromium???......
google.jpg

As Noel said, Chrome works fine on UKW and without the advert overload.
If you go to the Google UK web page in I.E. you will more than likely get the Advert Link to Download Chrome shown in the screenshot.

Not the all encompassing panacea that some would have you believe, depends upon what other software and information you need to access but for the majority of vanilla home browsing I find it fine.

Attachments

• google.jpg
    google.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 737
@CHJ:
Thanks for all your efforts, and sorry for thinking you were/are the head honcho. I'm not sure how/where I got that idea. I take your point about spending your time being an unpaid mod, and as said already on this thread, plus on several others, this Forum is a place I really do appreciate, so thanks to you and the others for all you do.
My problem is now solved, please see below.

@DM65:
Thanks for your help, I shan't be following up on Chrome (it may or may not be the awful disaster I remember from a while back) because your "trick" of running my IE 8 from the Run Command prompt works like a dream - TOGETHER with setting In Private filtering to ON and setting the "settings" of In Private filtering to the max number of sites allowed by the little counter window in the settings menu (it's 30 sites in my case).
The net result is that the Forum now runs very smoothly and quickly with nil holdups, and without timing it exactly I think it's now scrolling and bringing up new pages faster than it's ever done!
One question if I may please - I assume that I need to do your Command prompt "iexplore" etc every time I want to use the Forum, AND that I'll also need to turn In Private filtering ON every time as well - oh, and I'll also need to log in to UKW for every visit - are all those suppositions correct please?

Anyway, thanks to both you you, another satisfied and quiet "customer" once more.

Best wishes
AES

P.S. As far as ads are concerned I now have nothing at all in the RH blue bar (except the Showcase, which is obviously not a commercial ad), and on the UKWorkshop banner at the top of the page, only a single regularly changing 1 or 2 line window (which right now is saying "get fast free deliveries ....... ").

EXCELLENT! Once again, many thanks to all.
AES

AES":12l9t5s5 said:
running my IE 8 from the Run Command prompt works like a dream - TOGETHER with setting In Private filtering to ON and setting the "settings" of In Private filtering to the max number of sites allowed by the little counter window in the settings menu (it's 30 sites in my case).
If this worked for you, what it has done is disabled any add ons, toolbars etc that run when you open IE - try not using any of the other settings except the command line and if the site is still fine, you can then, by process of elimination, find which add on/toolbar is causing your problem

@devonwoody:

With the greatest of respect (you can plainly see the level of my own PC "expertise" in all the above, grin) hasn't the speed got more to do with your connection than with the IE that you're using? In my own case (IE 8), it's true that I now have to go to the Command prompt to get started on viewing the Forum, then I have to select "In Private Filtering", but having done those things (no big deal thanks to DM65s instructions) my visits to the Forum are now zooming along at "warp drive speed" compared to a couple of days ago - come to think of it, compared to a couple of years ago!

@DM65:

Thanks again for the advice. I don't really understand what you mean about adding tools one by one - as far as I know, I haven't got any tools or anything else on the go, apart from plain vanilla IE 8. Anyway, as above, it's work great now, thanks again.

Krgds
AES

I am throwing in the towel, all to much to get my simple none computer savvy brain around. #-o

Look's as if I will just have to put up with this problem, and hope something changes on the site soon.

It’s not that long ago that I found (UkWorkshop), with such helpful advice and information it is to good a site to just abandon. =D>

(dm65) I have been down this route before and my service provider (Tesco.net), does not support or have a contract with any other web browser other than (Microsoft Internet Explorer).

Thanks all, for your postings to this thread.

CHJ, I also appreciate the personal time given by others to moderate sites.

Take care.

Chris R.

ChrisR & AES, to disable a toolbar go to the top left of IE, click on tools and then toolbars
IE8 - Toolbar.jpg

All you have to do is untick any Bing, Google etc toolbars - the ones seen in my image are standard IE toolbars

To disable addons - go top left, tools, manage addons
IE8 - Addons1.jpg

When the addons dialog opens, change the drop down box to show all addons, then simply disable
IE8 - Addons2.jpg

By trial and error, you will find what is causing you your issue - if you don't need it, go to control panel, add/remove programs, find whatever you have disabled and uninstall

Hope that helps

Attachments

• IE8 - Addons1.jpg
    IE8 - Addons1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 659
  • IE8 - Addons2.jpg
    IE8 - Addons2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 659
  • IE8 - Toolbar.jpg
    IE8 - Toolbar.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 659
Den (dm65).

Many thanks for your time in posting the above, but I would be afraid to try your suggestion, that is not to doubt in any way your advice, I am sure it is sound, it’s just that I know that adjusting any settings is above my computer skill level, and I would not be able to return to the original settings if it all went belly up. I have to live with what I have.

I am an old git, not of the computer age. :|

Thanks again.

Chris R.

Back