Is my table saw out there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeb

Reaction score
Dear Forum Members,

The question in my subject line is only half rhetorical. While I'm sure my table saw is out there, I'm beginning to wonder just how to find the "right" one. I've read a fair amount of the postings on this site but I'm still in the dark and I hope you don't mind that I post again on this topic.

A wee bit of background:

I'm 49 yrs old; a Yank and I just moved to the UK about a year ago. I've got MS and want/need to be engaging in a worthy hobby. something to take my mind off the disease. I've only done minor (type) woodworking in the past but am committed to making this my REAL hobby. Since I'm new to your wonderful country I'm not very familiar with the in's and out's of buying product; particularly the knack it takes to find a fair price on a good piece of used equipment. Hence this posting.

I have a garage (but I haven't learned how to properly pronounce it yet!) which I've set aside 2/3rds for "shop" use. The wiring is all new and I've been told in "excellent" condition.

I'd like to buy a used saw but don't want to buy someone else's problems or have to upgrade after I find out all that my first saw won't do.

My budget is around £500.

Where should I start?

Thanks for your help and advice.

--Jeb

Hi Jeb
Welcome to the forum!
Woodford sell a Delta contractors saw "clone" that is easily within your budget. What work do you envisage doing?
Cheers
Philly :D

Possibly the KITY 419 will be in your price range and an excellent saw that many members own.

Depends, as always, on what you want to do with it

Hey Philly,

Thanks for writing with a specific recomendation.

I'm planning on building (basic) furniture that my grand-children would be proud to have and use.

--Jeb

Jeb,
Welcome to the forum.

It would be a good idea if you give us at least a clue as to your whereabouts so that folk can offer more specific help such as an invite to their shop or the name of a dealer close to you.

Take a look at the SIP 10" cast iron saws Jeb. Think they still come in at £500 new, and are terrific value for the money with a good fence and decent sized motor as well as the solidity of the cast iron top as well of course.

Let us know what you eventually choose.

On the electrics in your garage, whats there may be in excellent condition but that doesn't mean the supply and cabling will be sufficient to start running heavy loads once you have a saw, extractor, heating and whatever.

A typical garage may well be supplied in normal sized domestic cables and be okay for running small appliances occasionally, but might need significant upgrading to run more and bigger kit. Can usually be done for a few hundred pounds or so but might be worth asking an electrician as to it's suitability for a workshop rather than just it's condition if you see what I mean.

Welcome Jeb!

As a yank myself and in the US, I cannot recommend a saw there, but the people on this forum will endeavor to help in every way they can. You are among some of the best people on the net.

Take care, Mike

My Xcalibur 805 is still too new to give a complete recommendation (other than how nice it is to stroke the table surface and push the sliding table back and forth); however, no complaints so far.

(Other then Woodford not supplying a blade (and not responding to my telephone calls and email :evil: ))

I'm afraid pronouncing words is something we can't do ourselves!
I'd say there are 3 ways to pronounce it:-
"Ga Raj" - Southern England, as in, "I keep my Porsha in the Ga Raj."
"Garidg" - Northern England, as in, "Put it with all the other junk in the garidg."
"Gariiiiiiiiidg" - Birmingham, as in, "Is got aws wid a gariiiiidg. Kipper tie?" :whistle:

Rich

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. In response to Chris's suggestion, I'm in the Buckinghamshire area.

Cheers,

--Jeb

Jeb, you could try Isaac Lords in High Wycombe they have a small showroom (upstairs), also try Jones and puffins in Aylesbury, showroom also upstairs... both limited choices ( as retail space is at a premium) but at least you can have a look and get the feel for the machine..may be worth a call on availablity first

Isaac Lord cover quite a few brands (dewalt, record,delta, etc)
Jones & puffins tend to do a lot of SIP

hope this is of some help..

Back