is my blade bent?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbell

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I bought my first table saw a jet JTS -600 and have a question.

I was setting the sliding table square to the blade when I noticed that if I just check the front of the blade by touching an engineers square against a tooth that as I turn the blade I go from areas of the circumference where the teeth do not touch the square to areas where the teeth do touch.

Is this normal which is why you just pick a single tooth for set-up?

has anyone else got this saw model as I have loads of more set-up questions!!

thanks

andy

The teeth can be set so one is centred, one pokes to the left slightly and one to the right. It gives the blade some clearance in the cut but I don't know if they're all like that...?

Is it lots of teeth touch then lots don't, or every few teeth touch or what?

are you resting the dial gauge on the tooth or the blade? The tooth will be a brazed tip that will be irregular from tooth to tooth

I agree with the above. :)

If, however, you're still concerned that your blade may be bent, there are a couple of other things you could check...

First, put a straight against the face of the blade (not the teeth). If you use a steel rule or something cheap, try both edges just in case the rule is bent. You could also look at the seating of the blade on the arbour and check that the blade, washer and nut are all seated correctly.

Thanks for the replies.

Every other tooth has a different set direction but what happens is that
I have about 10 teeth which clear the rule but then as I continue to rotate the blade the next lot of teeth just graze the rule and then the following teeth interfer with the rule until I have completed a revolution and then I get back to clearance and the cycle repeats itself. Its like trying to set the brake block clearance on a buckled bike wheel.

andy

Why not whip the blade off and lay it flat on a reference surface like the saw table or planer table, that should show if it's bent

I would felt tip mark one tooth and check it with the fence farthest away from you and then spin the blade 180 degrees and check the same tooth at the front of the bench nearest to you.

Back