Is my Acer dying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyW

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a small Japanese Acer (palmatum, I think) which was planted by me about 8 years ago. It is approximately 5ft high now with multiple trunk system. Up until now we have always enjoyed a full display of foliage every year with no problems seen.

This year leaves have only appeared on branches from one of the trunks - I would estimate less than 1/4 of what should be showing.

Is there anything I can do to help the tree along or is it on its way out? If it is not going to survive what do you think the most likely reasons?

Cheers :D
Tony

Hi Tony
When I first saw your post I assumed you'd got a computer problem... sad, isn't it?

I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you I have the same problem. A specimen that has lived happily in a large pot for several years has this year failed to wake up. Another, which lives in the soil, has had to be cut back severely because only only branch showed any sign of new growth. I'm no horticulturist and I do like Acers, but even I think it's a great pity these beautiful plants are failing.

Fortunately we have a fantastic red one at the front of the house and a mature tree in the back garden. Personally I would not have planted it there, but in October it is gorgeous.

Cheers
Steve

The biggest cause of death and partial death in Japanese maples is waterlogging through the winter months. The roots are very fine and easily rot away if it is too wet.

They can also be attacked by pests such as aphids, scale insects and vine weevil. Aphids and scale insects would be very apparent, but weevils feed on the roots so are invisibale unless you dig away abit of earth. They are small white grubs and you would find them within the root spread if they are the problem.

Scratch away the surface bark on one of the branches without leaves. If it is green underneath then it is still alive and there may be hope. If it is brown or red couloured then it is dead and it will need cutting off.

I would suggest that the most likely suspect though, would be winter waterlogging. In which case, cut away the dead wood and hope for the best.

In potted plants I`ve found they need extra care,every other year I change the dirt in the pots as the plant has all of the nutrian ate up...thats why farmers rotate their crops.Trimming back some helps too,it seems to me if the plant gets a haircut it trys to throw more growth.

Thanks for your replies.

Steve Had to laugh forgotten about Acer computers - wish it was a computer issue I could sort that.

Simon Suspect after your comment that it could be waterlogging. Will check for pests as you suggest and under bark for green wood. In the event that the area without leaves or buds is dead there would be little left after cutting away :(

Grinding One Even though this not in a pot perhaps I should have fed more nutrients.

Tony

Maybe frost damage, i know ive a few that have suffered with late frosts this year.
Also watch for house sparrows ,they have a nasty habit of chewing off new buds before they have came out.I had another plant in the garden last year that dsimated by them,they just pecked all the leaves away to nothing was left.

Frugal, bob_c, Thanks for your input. I suspect that I have not looked after it as well as I should and was not planted in ideal situation. In the end I think that waterlogging biggest contributory factor although frost may have also been an issue.

I actually feel quite guilty that I have probably been responsible for its demise.

Tony

Latest posts

Back