Is it something in the water???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Just what is going on in this forum? It seems like recently quite a few of our regulars are leaving us?? I can't understand why when 'Dare I say it' we have the best woodworking forum on the internet! It seems that either too many of us are sensitive or without a sense of humour. I have found that everyone I have conversed with or read postings from have been fine. I find the information they give to be informative and sometimes enjoyable to read. We all like a laugh now and then and we can all be serious too. The one thing we shouldn't forget though is that we all have a passion for woodwork and should try to help each other without hesitation. I feel a sense of pride that I have helped someone on here with a problem and also feel happy that someone has helped me with a problem too. If someone disagrees with one of my postings I jsut put it down to us all being individuals who all have our own theories and ways of doing things, if I am wrong I am wrong and can take the criticism without spitting out my dummy. I am sure this will offend someone but it is unitentional if it does of course. I just want the forum to stay as a place for our hobby/trade to flourish and nurture new talent. I will await the comments now. :)

Quite agree Mailee, as you say we are all individuals and sometimes social and even geographical barriers are a hindrance to life but I think they should be regarded as a pimple on lifes bum.

Dom

Yep,sums it up very nicely for me as well.
I enjoy different opinions,regardless of if I agree with them all - you can't have a very good debate with only one point of view :?

Andrew

I think this woodwork forum is just great, I have never done woodwork before except from my school days, I am over 60 now and can afford cheap machines (B & Q) to start me off but its the help I need and just glad that you are all there to guide me.
I say , it's great to have you, with out you I would be lost.

mailee":313jmfo5 said:
I just want the forum to stay as a place for our hobby/trade to flourish and nurture new talent.

This is exactly why the forum exists and why, I believe, it is so successful.

PowerTool":313jmfo5 said:
I enjoy different opinions,regardless of if I agree with them all - you can't have a very good debate with only one point of view

Yes, I agree.

There are very few rules governing this forum and they are there for a very good reason. The rules are here but these are the ones that are broken most often and end up causing problems for the members and lots of hassle for the Mods: -

"UKW expects members to behave respectfully and not to personally attack or be abusive to other members. ‘Offensive’ is a pretty broad term, but we think you know what we mean. This includes any messages or material that are ethnically, racially, religiously, or sexually offensive, insulting, or demeaning. It also includes messages that are harassing or threatening to others. In other words, if you wouldn't like it said about you, don't say it about others."

"Over the years there has been one subject in particular that has caused a few heated debates on the forums and that is politics. For that reason political discussion or political comments in a thread are not acceptable."

We try, wherever possible, to keep threads running so that we can have a grown-up discussion about the issues of the day. Unfortunately, there are always people who will make it a political hot potato. UKW is not the forum for this, if that's what a member wants then just do a quick search on Google for "political discussion".

WiZeR":313jmfo5 said:
hmmm Why was Mr Spanton's thread deleted? I think that is over moderation.

The post broke forum rules and I took it off-line to think about the correct action. It has now been returned as a locked thread.

Cheers
Neil

ok sorry, didn't mean to be abrupt but I felt he had a right to at least explain why he was sulking off.

WiZeR":rauvm5tf said:
ok sorry, didn't mean to be abrupt but I felt he had a right to at least explain why he was sulking off.

No problem.

Cheers
Neil

ModEdit After discussing this with my fellow mods I feel I have been heavy handed and I have unlocked the thread.

Rant-On.gif

I feel this statement is worth emphasising:
mailee":3k6j5mjn said:
I just want the forum to stay as a place for our hobby/trade to flourish and nurture new talent.
We've got to make sure we're nurturing each other! Whilst a bit of banter is great fun, sometimes the play gets a little rough. I know the moderators often wish they could step in and say, "Oy, you may find that amusing, but think how the other guy feels". However, these instances often arise in such a way that no forum rules are broken and the intervention of a moderator would be seen as heavy-handed.

The rules on this forum are much less prescriptive than the rules on many other forums I visit. There's a lot of latitude given here, despite the protestations of some people from time to time. Nevertheless, the rules represent the minimum standard of behaviour that's acceptable. If we want to see this forum flourish, we must all be on our guard and make sure that we are actively nurturing the forum.

Rant-Off.gif

Lecture over ;) :) .

Gill

Ditto really. I'm sure you all realise all the moderators have far better things to do than deal with items on here. The written word can be interpreted very differently than it was intended - by nature of the fact that you cannot see the authors face, if they are grinning, waving their arms about etc. As such, small comments often trigger things which in normal situations wouldn't happen.

Also, arguments nearly always take a thread away from the original question - and its the original poster who suffers. So if you can always be referring back the original question it does help a lot.

Adam

I've been a member here for 3 1/2 years now and over that period I have seen a great many people come and go, many of them contributed to the growing repository of woodworking knowledge here - this is the nature of a forum

For what it's worth, my feeling is that there is too much 'off-topic' traffic and too little actual wood work discussed these days

I am happy with the replies to this post, it shows that we 'are' here for one reason and that is to help each other in our quest for better woodwork. Please lets keep it that way and keep this forum in the place it so rightly desrves the best on the 'Net'. Thanks guys for putting my mind at rest. :D

I couldn't agree more with some of the above....

but tell me mods, what part of

But not for very long. After a months exile I have had time to reflect, and have came to the difficult decision to retire from this particular forum. This is not motivated by self pity, sour grapes or resentment. Its just that I think the rules and style of the forum mean that I cant really relax and be myself so I'm best not participating if it upsets people (it is not my intention to upset anyone by the way), its just my ireverent bawdy view of things that, I do apreciate, does offend some people, for which I do apologise. It only remains for me to extend sincere best wishes to all with whom I have exchanged ideas and so on via post's and thank all those who wether they know it or not have helped me to better understand the art and craft of woodworking.
Cheers Mr S

broke the forum rules?

Tony

tonybaloni":36fszxpw said:
I couldn't agree more with some of the above....
Tell us which bits you don't agree with. As I understand the thread, the contributors are simply urging members to be helpful and supportive of other members.
tonybaloni":36fszxpw said:
but tell me mods, what part of

But not for very long. After a months exile I have had time to reflect, and have came to the difficult decision to retire from this particular forum. This is not motivated by self pity, sour grapes or resentment. Its just that I think the rules and style of the forum mean that I cant really relax and be myself so I'm best not participating if it upsets people (it is not my intention to upset anyone by the way), its just my ireverent bawdy view of things that, I do apreciate, does offend some people, for which I do apologise. It only remains for me to extend sincere best wishes to all with whom I have exchanged ideas and so on via post's and thank all those who wether they know it or not have helped me to better understand the art and craft of woodworking.
Cheers Mr S

broke the forum rules?

Tony
Neil has already dealt with this earlier in the thread and if he had felt there were any points which needed clarification, I'm sure he would have done so. The post was originally adjudged to have contravened the forum rules but this view was softened after further consideration. No explanation should be necessary to members who are seeking to make positive contributions to the forum.

Gill

Tony, I was trying to work out what was wrong with the original thread too. I came to the conclusion that nothing was really wrong with it as such, it was perhaps considered to be just a bit too far "off-topic" to the extent that the ensuing discussion would have resulted in a fruitless debate about the rules etc.

Just a thought... is there a way of addressing the moderators without posting a thread? I less public way of discussing the rules, their application, and the actions of moderators. Perhaps giving an insight in to how moderators are perceived via their posts and therefore making a constructive and positive contribution to the forum. More to the point - would moderators appreciate feedback in a discrete manner? With such a large and vibrant community, there is a real risk that a relatively small team of moderators applying the rules may not truly represent the feelings of the majority unless the community have a "rule" free zone to provide their feedback, to inform & guide the governing body.

For the record - no immediate axe to grind - it does just strike me that useful member feedback can get lost if one is trying to abide by the rules within the public arena of the forum itself.

I have no complaints about the forum. If regular members decide to leave then so be it, in the grand scheme there is no exodus going on, just a couple of the top of my head and for whatever reason they decide to leave, i'm sure there will be a new member who will then establish into a regular contributer.

I've started to try and answer more questions than I ask now these days and try and post as many interesting woodworking related things as poss, as I agree that there is a lot of off-topic stuff ATM, but I see this as a cycle, people have a lot of other things occupying their time and minds this time of the year, but as more people venture into their workshop I fully expect to see the level of woodworking going up.

I would like to urge all lurkers or newbies to share the projects/experiences no matter how trivial as there is ALWAYS someone who can benefit in some way or the other.

I really don't understand why we should ask the moderators to change anything, as has been said( many times) this forum is for people who are interested in woodworking, there is an off topic area which is limited only by the request that there be no profanities or talk of politics and that sexual references not be used, it's simple.
If anyone wishes to be racist, political or otherwise controversial try Scewfix's Off Topic forum, that'll get your hackles up.

Dom

Gill said:
Tell us which bits you don't agree with.

Sorry I refuse to go there, for reasons you are or should be well aware of, and it would break the forum rules.

What I don't understand is all the complaints of "off topic posting". Why then is there an "General Chat (Off Topic)" forum?? It just doesn't make sense. If you don't like the off topic stuff, then don't read the off topic forum.

I also still don't see why the original post was against the forum rules. If that was against the rules, then obviously this and every other post is too!

I also notice that most of the people leaving seem to be in the trade...... so all that valuable knowledge leaves too!! Sad really.

In the three years or so that I have been reading this forum, one of the best posters, and certainly the one producing the most impressive work, was Senior. Now that was a shame.........

Just my thoughts, hopefully not too controversial.

Tony

tonibaloni wrote
I also notice that most of the people leaving seem to be in the trade......
Perhaps that's where the problem lies,whatever the problem is/was. :?
I thought this site was for amateurs and beginners.Although it is good to get advice from the pros who want to contribute.
Perhaps some pros get a bit peed off with the As 'n' Bs.If you see what i mean. :roll:
Paul.J.

Personally I don't think that the 'Trade Guys' mind at all giving advice where they feel it might benefit someone.

In fact I get a few woodworkers/turners etc into my shop and really all they want to do is have a nose around and chat - wouldn't dream of buying anything, I'd prefer it if they did - but I'm quite happy to have a chat and even make them a brew.

As far as I'm aware there's only 2 guys that we're talking of here and a total coincidence that they were both 'Trade' - one has left/is leaving for reasons he felt/feels are appropriate and the other, well, the other - left.

Chris

Latest posts

Back