Is it possible.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
.....to build a garden shed using ONLY marine ply?

Odd question you may ask, but I've got the chance to get a shed load (excuse the pun) of 8 x 4 plywood sheets - gratis,from a job site at work. Would lamination prove suitable for the frame etc?

It WOULD prove a challenge, but I'm always up for one! :D

Thanks

Woody

I would imagine so, the ply faces will need to be clean enough for gluing (not to mention fairly dry) - and that's going to be a lot of ripping to make enough bits for frame work. Surely buying some 2x2 or 2x3 for the frame would be cheaper than spending all that time and buying all that glue.

I would have thought very do-able, why not make it as a series of torsion boxes, you wouln't need to worry about frame work then.

James

Jamesc":3h7jo0g1 said:
I would have thought very do-able, why not make it as a series of torsion boxes, you wouln't need to worry about frame work then.

James

Prithee tell more kind Sir 8)

Hi Woody,

You could make a series of boxes with a skin of ply on either side and a series of strips say 2" wide in between to make up the boxes. Depending on the tickness of ply you could probably get a way with having the stips just run vertically. If you offset the inside and outside panels you could easily join the boxes together. It would take a little working out but should end up with a very strong and rigid shed. Something like the sketch below. The roof could be made in the same way. If you wanted to get realy clever you could fill the voids with insulation.

Attachments

• panel.gif
    panel.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 977
Thanks James my man,

To be a real miser, I suppose I could get away with slate lathes .?? :!:

I've been offered as many sheets as I want - the sheets have been used for screening/fencing and presume they won't pass muster with the Elf & Safety bods!

I've nowt to lose if it doesn't pan out......my bro in law needs some new shed roofing anyhoo! :D

Thanks again,

Mark.

How about selling some of the boards to get some cls timber or similar. Half decent sheets can go for £10 each.
Mark

Back