Is it me that's out of touch?.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Established Member
Reaction score
Tonight over dinner we were discussing the nativity, my eldest (17) and the youngest(13) were unaware of who king Herod was, when I asked what they were being taught in RE, the youngest said that they were being taught about euthenasia :shock: what this has to do with religous education is beyond me, when I enquired of the teacher's nationality I was informed that she was Jamaican, So, here we have young boys, brought up in a christian environment, being taught by a Jamaican teacher discussing euthenasia in a religous education lesson, regardless of the teachers background, what has euthenasia to do with religion?surely this should be discussed in sociology lessons.
When I was at school we were taught the King James version from front to back, I'm not a thumper by any means but I knew who King Herod was.

Rich.

I kind of understand what you're getting at Rich, but what's wrong with a Jamaican guy teaching RE?

Jesus wasn't English, you know!

Personally, I think that the French have got it right on RE in schools - they don't have it.

What job is it of state education to indoctrinate children in one particular religious belief system? Surely this is a matter for parents, churches, Sunday school etc. If school is to have a role surely it should be teaching about moral and ethical matters in a secular coontext.

Which is I suspect, what your kids have been getting.

Perhaps the very name 'RE' should be ditched in favour of something more relevent.

Dan

By the way, Dan jr is seven and he knows who King Herod was. I've just asked him.

He must have been taught that at school because he certainly didn't get it from his low church agnostic father!

The Jamaican teacher is a SHE, and I have no problem there at all, but why have religous education and not teach it? I am atheistic and both the boys and wife are aware of my thoughts, my concern lies with the regime, as it were, I leave others to make their own minds up over religion and am happy if others find comfort and happiness from within it, but if schools ARE going to teach it, then stick to the bible or whatever religion you like, but euthanasia has no place in religion in my opinion.

Rich.

Rich":gv2pig8t said:
but if schools ARE going to teach it, then stick to the bible or whatever religion you like, but euthanasia has no place in religion in my opinion.

Rich.

Hi Rich - I would suggest that euthanasia was being discussed as a "moral" point - I know we certainly discussed such issues at school. RE (Religious Education) is not just about teaching the bible - it is, I believe, to cover other religions as well.

Dan - your point about "indoctrination" of children made me laugh - we don't live in a secular country. Surely the state has a role to spread the religion of the land?

Cheers

Karl

karl":j17r77oj said:
we don't live in a secular country. Surely the state has a role to spread the religion of the land?

In my view, absolutely not!

There are plenty of countries where religion plays a far greater role in daily life than in the UK, yet which by constitution are secular. France, Ireland and the USA spring to mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state

At the risk of getting into double jeopardy territory (religion and politics!) I would like to see the disestablishment of the Church of England and for the state to withdraw competely from theological matters.

Religous education should be left well outside the school curriculum.

Cheers
Dan

First let me make my position crystal clear I am an Atheist, I do not believe in God. This does not mean that I have no moral compass or spiritual leanings I just don't believe in one almighty, supreme being. I also have a deep mistrust of "organised" religion particularly when they are seemingly based on fear and superstition. However I have no argument with anyone who holds a different point of view, I guess the crux of my argument is that I feel religious belief should be a personal matter and not "sold" to the masses on the basis that ( whatever the denomination ) it is the only true path to enlightenment and fullfilment.

Now here's the hipocrite in me, for years I was uncomfortabe with the Churches role within our state schools, this being a throw back to the times when there was no state provided education and it was the Church that provided them. A few years back over dinner with some very good fiends ( who hold a different point of view to me ) we where discussing this very issue and the point was made that if the Church or other religious body was absent from our eductaion system, the only doctrine input into the system would come from the Government of the day. So having the Church involved, provides an alternative view point to the Government run Department for Education. I am now of the opinion that in the absence of any other non political institutions the church and therefor religion has aplace within the education system. I would add that this holds true whatever the religious denomination and also vice a versa in that the government should then be providing the checks and balances within religious schools who would perhaps seek to promote their own point of view above all else.

Rich, I'm not sure why you felt the need to enquire about the teachers nationality, surely this is immaterial, what is important is their qualification to teach the subject in question. Religious education (RE) is just that not Christian education or whatever. We should be teaching our childeren tolerance and understanding of other people beliefs and ways of life. Whatever our own feelings the country has changed and will continue to do so, our children like it or not are going to have to live in a multi cultural, multi racial society and they need to be equipped to do that.

Interestingly for a family that has no particular religious eanings all three of my boys did exceptionally well in RE.

Any way I'm off the soap box.

Richard

Hi Rich

I think it was a mistake to mention that the teacher was Jamaican, it is irrelevant and just exposes your predjudices.

I think you are mistaking religion with history. The reason the Bible is important is that it gives a framework for making ethical decisions, like euthanasia etc. It is not read as a history book to learn the Kings and Queens of Israel.

LG

Euthanasia isn't an ethical decision within Christianity LG, it's proscribed. Same in Judaism and Islam.

Roy.

I went to a catholic school and R.E. was definatley a point that the school wanted to teach. But I was also taught other subjects within RE. We learn't about the subject you bring up and others alike. We also learn't about different religions. For me, it was a a bit full on and too much, I left school with a very poor GCSE in R.E. compared to getting good results in all my other subjects.

Dan Tovey":1muus6fa said:
What job is it of state education to indoctrinate children in one particular religious belief system? Surely this is a matter for parents, churches, Sunday school etc.!

unfortunately that says it all, it's no-ones job to indoctrinate a child

I heard that one school had 44 different languages to contend with so the days of RE in schools must surely be impossible.
Perhaps a different religion each week could be the only way to go :wink:

devonwoody":3fc508kh said:
I heard that one school had 44 different languages to contend with so the days of RE in schools must surely be impossible.
Perhaps a different religion each week could be the only way to go :wink:

Only if 1 language = 1 religion...

Back in the distant 60's, we were taught about other religions in RE. I chose witchcraft for a project - a good excuse to bring in pictures of scantily clad women.........

I recall in the 40's asking a spinster school teacher what the heck did that greek monitor want with 6 virgins each year,
She told me a porky.

Im only 24 so left school 8ish years ago and even then R.E was a difficult subject to teach. In my class there were people from several religions aswell as those like myself who werent brought up with any religious bias,

The problem came from parents finding out there kids were learning about things that they didnt seem necessary to there childs upbringing.

Unless the school has a specific religious belief, there is no way you could have an R.E lesson without offending somebody.

Back