is going through a red light an offence?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":b3putgsh said:
Yes and frequently as we all know the law is an ass.

I'll leave it to you to use that line in your defence then when you're up before the bench for speeding or jumping a red light.

I don't think we are going to agree on this so I'll leave you to your opinion - you know mine,

regards

Brian

IMHO

The Law: Is Sometimes an Ass, and should always be obeyed unless in a genuine display of civil disobedience (speeding to get home from work quicker doesn't count)

Traffic Lights: - should always be obeyed by ALL road users (yes that includes you Mr Cyclist!)

Speed Limits - sometimes these seem a bit OTT (there is a stretch of road in Swindon that is 20mph for 10 yards, and some of that is Roundabout!) But generally I think I'm reasonably happy with 60 and 70 as the National SPeed Limit. I know most cars these days are more than capable of faster speeds, I'm also fairly certain that most Drivers aren't!

Dave R":2s32p4a3 said:
RogerS":2s32p4a3 said:
And why haven't we adopted the 'OK to turn left on red if safe to do so' rule that they have in the States?

Pah!

To be pedantic, it's only legal to turn left on a red light if you are in a one way street that feeds into another one way street. Right on a red is legal, though unless there are pedestrians.

Of course I know you guys are all driving from the passenger seat anyway. :lol: :lol:

Having driven a fair bit in the US, I would say this works well over there as generally the drivers are more courteous and drive at slower speeds than in the UK. Also,generally much less congestion. I believe that it only applies in some states though? I would be a bit dubious about trying it on UK roads with UK drivers!

Gary

Well said Taff, having driven in the States I agree with you.

For instance, how many UK drivers wouldn't overtake a stationary school bus when it was picking up or dropping off passengers?

Gary":2kyazw9r said:
.......For instance, how many UK drivers wouldn't overtake a stationary school bus when it was picking up or dropping off passengers?

I for one often wait behind if there is the slightest doubt where the children are. (and been overtaken!!) and have been known to slow down approaching one on the opposite lane, I think often to the surprise of following drivers judging by how close they are before they react.

This was brought home to me the first time I had to drive in the USA and ended up behind queues of cars waiting for the bus to move off, reinforced on subsequent trips there in other states, It seemed such a down right sensible rule for child safety that it made a lasting impression, as was the automatic 20mph zone in residential areas in most states I visited.

I was also very impressed at the curtesy shown at crossroads, many of which had no road priority markings, don't know if it was obvious I was a foreigner driving a hire car or just that most times it was an expensive limousine (cadillac seville) but there were often two or three drivers willing to defer to someone else.

And thanks Ray, that is exactly the case referred to.

Hi

Just been reading this post a very interesting separation in views.
After reading CHJ's reply which i agree with but the government seems to want money not safer roads round built up area's and schools.

And on a lighter note about curtesy shown at crossroads in the US
Reminded me of a comedy show "Becker"
Where they have to take a licence test every few years 10 i think ??
When asked why he didn't put down who had the right of way at a crossroads he simply replied.
I live in Brooklyn NYC if 4 cars pull up at the same time to a crossroads then it's the guy with the gun that has the right of way. :shock:
He passed his test lol

Martin

gatesmr2":fcmj92k0 said:
....I live in Brooklyn NYC if 4 cars pull up at the same time to a crossroads then it's the guy with the gun that has the right of way. .....Martin

Sounds a bit like the south side of Dallas or down town San Antonio after 10.30 at night. :lol:

When the locals said "don't go there" we learnt very quickly to heed their advice. :shock:

Im seeing my lights going green and people still finishing crossing their lights, Theres either a phasing problem or alot of very naughty people out there.
Im always watching people behind me when im coming up to lights that have been green for ages, If i can pull up i do, but people these days expect you to go through on amber, I do if im right on top of the lights but i dont put my foot down to try and make it!.

One time on my Motorbike, I could have gone through an amber, But chose not to (trying to see who was up for a green light go!) Next thing i heard was a screech, Smoke and a car halt nearly sideways in the lane beside me!. I didnt need the hassle but thinking about it i should have twatted him :evil:

We are, I believe, talking about the situation where whoever pressed the button in the first place has long gone and there is no-one else around. So IMO pretty damn pointless to have to sit there.

OK then. Everyone else says "he's right lets jump the red light!". A year later, analysis of road accident national statistics would show an increase in injuries on pedestrian crossings. Where's the extra risk? Dent in your bonnet, bit of blood maybe, or a busted windscreen? Because it was an accident of course, they just came out of nowhere, it wasn't my fault.

There's some lights by a narrow bridge near me that are controlled solely by the induction loops in the road. I know that if I draw up on my motorcycle, the lights aren't going to change until a car comes up behind me - I've waited positively ages sometimes.....

On the crossing bit how about this one. I had a recent 'discussion' with a pedantic copper about zig-zags on the aproach to a pedestrian controlled crossing.
My 'offence'? I was waiting on the zig-zags. Naughty boy you say, accept it is a one way street and these zig-zags are on the exit from the crossing.
I pointed out to the gentleman that the guide lines specify their presence on the approach but makes no reference to the exit, and whilst we were dicussing the legalities I pointed out that that old lady who had just walked across on the zig-zags that I was arguing should not be there had committed an offence, as it is an offence for pedestrians to do so. I politely suggested that I would wait whilst he detained her then he could also detain me! End of discussion!

Roy.

ike":2sdwsbcb said:
We are, I believe, talking about the situation where whoever pressed the button in the first place has long gone and there is no-one else around. So IMO pretty damn pointless to have to sit there.

OK then. Everyone else says "he's right lets jump the red light!". A year later, analysis of road accident national statistics would show an increase in injuries on pedestrian crossings. Where's the extra risk? Dent in your bonnet, bit of blood maybe, or a busted windscreen? Because it was an accident of course, they just came out of nowhere, it wasn't my fault.

You're missing the point, Ike.

No one in sight. Nada. Unless there is maybe an invisible man somewhere or other. Or a 3" wide person hiding behind the traffic light pole. I repeat - NO ONE IN SIGHT.

I Can't see what all the hoo ha is about. when the light in front of you is RED, you stop, when it goes green, you go, what is all this nonsense?

Rich.

Rich":hb4g6a5s said:
I Can't see what all the hoo ha is about. when the light in front of you is RED, you stop, when it goes green, you go, what is all this nonsense?

Rich.

What do you do if they stay on red?

'cos they're broken or someone coming out of the pub thought it would be a hoot to set both sets of lights at a temporary roadworks on red?

Or maybe it's a reflection on where one lives? City or town ...there's always someone around, other cars, never sleeps while out here in the countryside.......

I saw that question raised in the press once, the answer was, find another route, red means halt even if the lights are U/S.

Roy.

Roger, I was merely replying to the opening question, "is going through a red light an offence," Regardless of the situation, whatever it may be the answer is still yes.

Rich.

As a none driver I must admit it annoys me, the amount of pedestrians that I see that walk up to a crossing when the road is clear,press the button walk straight across and are long gone when the traffic lights turn to red,but having said that a red light should be obeyed.There are thousands of accidents every year caused by drivers who think that they are above the law.And to those that say,the police should be catching burglars not picking on motorists,how many people are killed or injured by burglars and how many are killed in traffic accidents.Not that I condone any criminality.I would sooner lose all my possessions to a burglar than have a family member or friend killed or seriously injured by an irresponsible motorist be they drunk,drugged,speeding or just plain stupid.

Dennis

Digit":2ka5suiv said:
On the crossing bit how about this one. I had a recent 'discussion' with a pedantic copper about zig-zags on the aproach to a pedestrian controlled crossing.
My 'offence'? I was waiting on the zig-zags. Naughty boy you say, accept it is a one way street and these zig-zags are on the exit from the crossing.
I pointed out to the gentleman that the guide lines specify their presence on the approach but makes no reference to the exit
Roy.

It is actually an offence to stop within the confines of a crossing, ie within the zig-zag area or across the actual crossing. Entrance to or exit from it matters not, you still commit the offence.

RogerS":13p6yv7d said:
ike":13p6yv7d said:

You're missing the point, Ike.

No one in sight. Nada. Unless there is maybe an invisible man somewhere or other. Or a 3" wide person hiding behind the traffic light pole. I repeat - NO ONE IN SIGHT.

Nice try Roger but the 3" pole isn't a 3" pole is it Roger? Either that or your vision of late is so defective that I doubt you should be let anywhere near a car.
So you are travelling on this road at 3 am Sunday morning - presumably in darkness and you, in your infinite wisdom, have deemed it safe to ignore the red light. Think about it Roger - pedestrian, night, pole. Perhaps the pedestrian was wearing clothes of a similar colour to the said pole. How can you be possibly sure that no one is there?

Back