is going through a red light an offence?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
The reason I ask is that on my way to work I drive along a section ( quiet at this time of the day) with 3 pelican crossings.

Often the light is against me and I can see the " button pusher" has long gone. I have an excellent view in all directions, so if I go over the crossing before the lights have changed what offence have I committed ??

Crossing a Red Light

I agree that the road was clear and that it was actually the 'button pusher' who should be charged. But in the eyes of the law, you crossed a red light.

The offence is "Fail to give way and stop in accordance with the indications given by the lights."

You cannot "fail to give way" if no-one is actually using the crossing, but there's an "and" not an "or" in the wording.

Therefore, you will always fail to "stop in accordance with the light," if it's red - even if no-one is using the crossing at the time.

Ray.

Contravening a red traffic light at a Pelican crossing or if there are pedestrians still on the crossing Failing to accord precedence.

Don't do it, it's naughty anyone would think you drive a BMW. :roll:

Fair point, Lurker. Plain daft to me.

As are most 'no right turn' 'no left turn' etc signs that make sense during the day, evening etc when there is a high volume of traffic but at 3am on a Sunday morning???

And why haven't we adopted the 'OK to turn left on red if safe to do so' rule that they have in the States?

Pah!

Same thing at road works, often you can see (or your think you can see) that the road ahead is clear and people will sometimes go through.

I was stopped at just some roadworks a few weeks ago when some wise guy came up behind and started sounding his horn. I just ignored him and eventually he pulled round me and carried on. He got away with it as they often do but I wouldn't risk it, after all a red light is a red light.

I think what we should be doing at red lights is taking the opportunity to relax, there's too much stress and impatience on the roads.

regards

Brian

Ray,

Thanks for that concise answer, I was rather hopeing it might be you that responded :lol: :lol:

Garry,

I never said I did it 8)
I think I'm a most considerate driver no matter which of my fleet :wink: I'm behind the wheel of.

Why is it daft? How can you be absolutely sure that there is no one at the crossing? Perhaps someone is stood directly behind a sign pole and your 'well there was no one there' retort starts to sound a little daft. What's actually wrong with observing the lights and waiting a minute or so?

RogerS":qe26lesq said:
And why haven't we adopted the 'OK to turn left on red if safe to do so' rule that they have in the States?

Pah!

Presumably because the statistics show that there are more drivers prone to run a red light than those willing to hold back, or capable of making an informed judgment, if an oncoming vehicle is too close for safety.

I have been behind vehicles at signal controlled junctions with a slip road to aid this action when the the vehicle has gone straight round and through the dotted line without hesitation causing vehicles with right of way to brake sharply.

The problem is you are all thinking as a motorist. I've done it, I see others do it - as a pedestrian that is, someone ahead of you has crossed 'at the green man' - quick! lets get across too before it changes back! .. Possible result - BANG!, cos some t**t driver didn't want to wait. The signals are there for a purpose - to unequivocally instruct both parties what to do in their best interest.

Frustrates me to, as a driver when a button pusher hasn't waited and I'm left there, but pedestrians don't have metal overcoats with airbag linings!

Ike

ever been at a light with a camera and the lights are stuck on red !

now there's a dilemma :lol:

CHJ":27gluwkw said:
I have been behind vehicles at signal controlled junctions with a slip road to aid this action when the the vehicle has gone straight round and through the dotted line without hesitation causing vehicles with right of way to brake sharply.

Please explain this one further. The must be a solid white stop line at a junction that is controlled by traffic signals.

I think what Chas was referring to was the Give Way line, often found at left-hand filter lanes, as shown in my crude diagram below, for those travelling in the direction of the arrow. The black circles are traffic lights - told you it was crude!

tld01.jpg

Ray.

As ever. the OP's original point has been lost.

We're not talking about a light at red and with pedestrians clearly visible walking on the pavements. To ignore the red light in these circumstances is foolhardy as a pedestrian could well decide to run across.

Neither are we talking about pedestrians being concealed behind the pole. Clearly if such a person existed then they would be a cause for much medical comment being only 3 inches wide.

We are, I believe, talking about the situation where whoever pressed the button in the first place has long gone and there is no-one else around. So IMO pretty damn pointless to have to sit there.

Likewise a red light at road works. A straight road - no-one coming the other way - again pointless to sit there.

RogerS":l55ibynv said:

Pah!

To be pedantic, it's only legal to turn left on a red light if you are in a one way street that feeds into another one way street. Right on a red is legal, though unless there are pedestrians.

Of course I know you guys are all driving from the passenger seat anyway. :lol: :lol:

A red light is still a red light.

The law is there to be obeyed by all motorists not just those who think they know better.

You could argue that if the road conditions are good, visibility is good etc. then in certain circumstances exceeding the speed limit is okay because you are not driving dangerously.

Who are you to decide?

As far as roadworks are concerned it is very often the case that the lights are controlling traffic coming from a side road as well as the main road. In this situation the road ahead is clear but who can see around corners? Or the roadworks might extend around a distant bend. You can't guarantee that it is safe to continue unless you have a green light.

Much safer IMO to just wait your turn - the world will wait for you...

regards

Brian

brianhabby":271d58zz said:
A red light is still a red light.

The law is there to be obeyed by all motorists not just those who think they know better.

You could argue that if the road conditions are good, visibility is good etc. then in certain circumstances exceeding the speed limit is okay because you are not driving dangerously.

Who are you to decide?

As far as roadworks are concerned it is very often the case that the lights are controlling traffic coming from a side road as well as the main road. In this situation the road ahead is clear but who can see around corners? Or the roadworks might extend around a distant bend. You can't guarantee that it is safe to continue unless you have a green light.

Much safer IMO to just wait your turn - the world will wait for you...

regards

Brian

Yes and frequently as we all know the law is an ass.

Please don't get me started on speed limits. Defintely disagree vis a vis the speed limit. Dry road....unlimited visibility...straight road for miles....no other traffic in sight...no side roads....then why not.

I would like to see more traffic cops, more unmarked traffic cops who pull up motorists for daft, dumb overtaking, tailgating and not for doing 45mph on a clear road with no other traffic in a 40mph limit. Just too easy for them and achieves nothing. There are more deaths IMO due to daft overtaking (which could be done within the speed limit).

The road I drive to work on (A4103) is a nasty bit of road with very limited number of overtaking places. A lot of traffic and so usually I don't bother to overtake as there is no point. But some drivers will push it. I nearly got hit head-on last week. It wasn't the first car coming towards me on my side of the road around a blind bend. It was the second car behind him doing the same thing. Both driving within the soeed limit.

I agree with road works IF there is a side road. But not, as happens often round here, they are patching up a bit of the STRAIGHT road and have closed off one lane. No side roads.

Back