is going through a red light an offence?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIGNAL":oslfyppn said:
RogerS":oslfyppn said:
ike":oslfyppn said:
We are, I believe, talking about the situation where whoever pressed the button in the first place has long gone and there is no-one else around. So IMO pretty damn pointless to have to sit there.

OK then. Everyone else says "he's right lets jump the red light!". A year later, analysis of road accident national statistics would show an increase in injuries on pedestrian crossings. Where's the extra risk? Dent in your bonnet, bit of blood maybe, or a busted windscreen? Because it was an accident of course, they just came out of nowhere, it wasn't my fault.

You're missing the point, Ike.

No one in sight. Nada. Unless there is maybe an invisible man somewhere or other. Or a 3" wide person hiding behind the traffic light pole. I repeat - NO ONE IN SIGHT.

Nice try Roger but the 3" pole isn't a 3" pole is it Roger? Either that or your vision of late is so defective that I doubt you should be let anywhere near a car.
So you are travelling on this road at 3 am Sunday morning - presumably in darkness and you, in your infinite wisdom, have deemed it safe to ignore the red light. Think about it Roger - pedestrian, night, pole. Perhaps the pedestrian was wearing clothes of a similar colour to the said pole. How can you be possibly sure that no one is there?

Sorry don't follow your sentence but the 3" pole isn't a 3" pole is it .

Re darkness - well last time I was up in West Yorkshire I'm pretty sure that wherever there were traffic lights there were also sodium streetlights and so the point is moot surely.

RogerS":2oqti7ph said:
MIGNAL":2oqti7ph said:
RogerS":2oqti7ph said:
ike":2oqti7ph said:
We are, I believe, talking about the situation where whoever pressed the button in the first place has long gone and there is no-one else around. So IMO pretty damn pointless to have to sit there.

OK then. Everyone else says "he's right lets jump the red light!". A year later, analysis of road accident national statistics would show an increase in injuries on pedestrian crossings. Where's the extra risk? Dent in your bonnet, bit of blood maybe, or a busted windscreen? Because it was an accident of course, they just came out of nowhere, it wasn't my fault.

You're missing the point, Ike.

No one in sight. Nada. Unless there is maybe an invisible man somewhere or other. Or a 3" wide person hiding behind the traffic light pole. I repeat - NO ONE IN SIGHT.

Nice try Roger but the 3" pole isn't a 3" pole is it Roger? Either that or your vision of late is so defective that I doubt you should be let anywhere near a car.
So you are travelling on this road at 3 am Sunday morning - presumably in darkness and you, in your infinite wisdom, have deemed it safe to ignore the red light. Think about it Roger - pedestrian, night, pole. Perhaps the pedestrian was wearing clothes of a similar colour to the said pole. How can you be possibly sure that no one is there?

Well last time I was up in West Yorkshire I'm pretty sure that wherever there were traffic lights there were also sodium streetlights and so the point is moot surely.

Roger, I wouldn't like to test that out when your stood in the box at Crown Court charged with death by dangerous driving. However maybe you have 14 years to spare if sent down. :lol:

Well, we've gone from the original question and title of the post (to which the only answer is "Yes") through pedestrians committing offences by crossing on the zig-zags (for which I can't find any credible reference, sorry Ron) to death by dangerous driving! Enough, surely? :shock:

Ray.

Ray

I would say that there have been more than enough deaths by dangerous driving, but as with stabbings cant see it ever changing.

Dennis

On question time last night the great and the good were lining up to tell me that if you carry a knife then you are much more likely to be stabbed yourself???
Anyone remember the scene from Crocodile Dundee when he says, 'Call that a knife? This is a knife'.
If I was to faced, again, by a knife I would much prefer to have a knife in my hand than a cream bun.
You may not have a reference to it Ray but as I explained it was not quoted in a legal context but for the design of pedestrian crossings as an explanation for why the DOT prefers railings as part od the 'street furniture'.
The DOT also gives guidelines on yellow lines, now there's a subject for you, without quoting chapter and verse on possible offences.
Mind if you want to know when a yellow line isn't a yellow line the subject can be fascinating. My local officials certainly don't know.

Roy.

Are we all agreed that going through a red light is an offence? if not, then let's discuss the law.....?

Rich.

Back