Is Finnish ply worth the additioal cost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kezza

Reaction score
Hello!

I am expanding my business and beginning to make wedding invitation from thin 1.5mm & 3mm plywood

After a lot of research i have found 'Finnish plywood' to be the best quality, but from what i can see £55+ a sheet, is that the norm?

I have seen other 1.5mm & 3mm ply cheaper, but obviously the face is important to me, and needs to be void free (one side definitely)

Looking to purchase online, as i cant find any stockist in Nottingham, so its going to be a bit of a punt, can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you :lol:

That sounds maybe a little on the expensive side for that thickness.

3 days ago I just paid £53 for A full sheet of "European" BB grade 12mm Birch ply. Almost completely perfect, no delamination or bits breaking out. The only slight imperfection on the whole sheet was a single 'batman' style plug. Decent quality stuff.

In my limited experience, if this is something you are going to be doing regularly, I would go and visit a few places to visibly look at what they have - you might find that Baltic (or other types) are good enough for what you need.

Hi,
What size sheet is that? 150cm x 150cm??

I can get poplar and lime plywood here in Bulgaria in various thickness 2mm 3mm,4, 5,6 8 & 10mm. However the sizes are 1000 x 600. So approximately 4 sheets would be equivalent size to birch. Prices are £7.50 for 2mm lime and £6.50 for 3mm. Poplar is 50p less respectively.

Shipping will be slow 3-4 weeks but can be pretty cheap at £1 a kilogram.If fast shipping then DHL europe can be used. I can advise on this before if anyone is interested.
Lime is a little finer finish and a little more flexible. The veneers are .65-.7mm thick. A guide on weight 3mm poplar approx 900gram and lime 1.1kg.

If anyone is interested in organising it from the UK end as a bulk buy for other forumites I would be happy to organise from this end.
Hope this helps

Danny

Sorry Bodger, my reply was more aimed at Kezza as he is looking for thinner profile. I may be wrong but I think normally Birch ply in the thinner profiles is 1.5m x 1.5m. Here is a pic of the lime, poplar is a little paler.
It looks similar to Birchply.

Cheers
Danny

Attachments

• 6perplat_lime.jpg
    6perplat_lime.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 82
Back