Is Car S.O.S turning into Top Gear

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind watching the car parts-pity about the amateur dramatics getting in the way.As for Top Gear I wouldn't know since I no longer watch it.I would be curious to know how the BBC income stream from it has changed in the last three years.

I dunno about "that other program of Amazon", sorry But I do quite like Car SOS, with the following personal (I stress personal) caveats. IF I was the producer (a big if I know) I would do away with/change the following:

1. Tim Shaw (completely) - NOT at all funny IMO, just a complete ar-e, and I do NOT for one minute believe that all those suppliers he so "successfully" cons are as naïve as shown;

2. More from Fuzz Townsend, AND introduce the rest of the guys (apart from the very occasional word from "Phil" the other don't get a look in, even though I BET they do the lion's share of all the work!). (BTW, good to see a couple of younger faces in that garage recently - could he/they be apprentices?);

3. Completely do away with the entirely self-imposed and completely artificial deadline - it does NOT add drama, just irritation (IMO);

4. Let Fuzz do a LITTLE more explanation, both in his own shop and at other places - it IS getting a little better IMO, e.g. that piece a while ago about "stitching" a cracked cylinder block, but as said in a previous post in a similar vein, I'm not expecting a complete half hour tutorial;

5. Cut down on the personal sob stories.

I strongly suspect that as a TV critic I'm pretty useless and not at all "the average viewer".

Edit for P.S. I haven't watched Top Gear for a long time, so dunno the answer to the OP's Q, sorry.

I was referring to the two recent programs where they did up a landy in a week,

Unfortunately very little was shown of the actual restoration instead we had Fuzz jumping cars in one of those big wheeled pickups, Tim apparently stealing a complete kit form landy and also TDA'ing an articulated lorry in the process. then both of them playing conkers with two SUV's and big cranes.

In addition we had Celebrities driving around in cars of their choice.

The whole program had the air of Top Gear from a few years ago.

For me I would want them to concentrate more on the nuts and bolts of restorations and less on unnecessary shenanigans

Didn't seethe Landy episode katellwood, so can't comment on that, but in general, agree with your point about unnecessary shenanigans.

car sos used to be good. cant watch it now as that tim winds me up all the staged drama and free stuff they get its absolutely pathetic. agree with you that theirs now where near that amount of actual work being shown as when it first came out. shame really.

To be honest, until I saw this thread, I have never heard of Car SOS

Just watched a few snippets on youtube, didn't seem to bad, although quite basic, I mean who doesn't know what a bell housing is? (most kids today I suppose)

As to being turned into Top Gear, well frankly nothing will ever replicate Top Gear will it?

I haven't watched it since Clarkson et all stopped doing it

The problem is that your average TV producer has no idea what a "car person" is interested in, so they adapt the standard TV formula to fit whatever genre they want to make. People watch it because its the ONLY car restoration show on TV, not the best. Personally I like grand designs (I know a lot of people find McCloud irritating) but there is very little OTT manufactured drama or sob stories, and it's all the better for it.

Ooookay, well I hope you are not to upset, but first I have never heard of them and having listed to just over a minute, am rather glad I haven't (nor am I surprised)

I think I'll have to agree with whatnot on that one - sorry niagra, "whatever floats yer boat" and all that, but that just doesn't hit it for me. (I'm over 45 BTW).

Latest posts

Back