Is ballistol all it's cracked up to be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
I see it mentioned a lot online and on youtube videos, especially German (obviously since it is a German product) but also in the US. Looking around it seems rather pricey compared to many other oils, is it really that good? What are the advantages to it over say 3in1 or similar?

I only use Ballistol on cuts on dogs paws.
What were you going to use it for?
Matt

Pah. Products like this are naturally surrounded by a lot of claims, and compared to a simple mineral oil they may indeed perform better. But testing of stuff like this is fraught with problems. After all there's a pretty notorious test of rust preventatives out there by one of the Major Magazines where WD-40 performed slightly better than Boeshield T-9! This is pretty hard to accept is a realistic outcome for anyone familiar with WD-40's limited abilities over time.

What you want to see ideally is genuine real-world comparisons, but nobody writing for the mags has the time for those (they do of course, they just can't be ars*d to run a test that continues for one or two years). So instead they do accelerated testing which I'm sure does not give a realistic comparison.

But regardless of the product what I want to know is what can it do that a good coat of paste wax can't? Wax is actually much better as a rust preventative (esp. for tools that see regular handling) for multiple reasons and it is the gold standard to meet or exceed.

I bought some from Germany when the pound was strong against the Euro, but no idea how much 3-in-1 costs so can't compare. I think it is just a highly refined mineral oil, claimed to be non-carcinogenic.
Used as a 3-in-1 substitute, I find it works just fine.
Used as a rust inhibitor/bedway lube, it works quite well, but does not last forever when handled, and is not quite as effective a lubricant as a paste wax. When turning wet wood, I find that neither wax nor Ballistol protect the lathe bedways for long so tend to use Ballistol due to ease of application.
It is very clean and does not leave an oily residue, it's very quick and easy to put a quick wipe on bedways and tools without worrying about mess.
It can be used on leather, wood - and dogs paws!
The smell is indescribable - although Wikipedia says: "a sweet and mildly pungent smell similar to black licorice"

Duncan

It is also employed for oiling bird quills for use as plectra in harpsichords.

As in woodworking, many people have their own favourites -- some like olive oil (traditional, i.e. available 200+ years ago), others prefer something that will not get sticky over time (does olive oil do this? -- you can find "yes" and "no" claims from experienced harpsichordists).

Just thought I'd throw this in to muddy the water a bit :)

Frank.

I have used it for a couple of years and would not be without it. Not for rust protection, but as a much better penetrating oil than WD40. I do woodwind instrument restoration and it is invaluable for loosening stuck joints in historic instruments, stuck pivots and hinge screws etc.

It was developed in WW1 for the German army as a single oil that could be used for metal, wood, leather and to be safe on skin. It softens dry, hard leather very nicely.

Keith

Hmm.... My missus is using bio oil on the scars of her recent hip replacements, wonder if I can find a use for that in the workshop! :-k

ED65":2vhtbyp2 said:
: what can it do that a good coat of paste wax can't? Wax is actually much better as a rust preventative (esp. for tools that see regular handling) for multiple reasons and it is the gold standard to meet or exceed. :

+1 for wax. In my case Briwax, clear.
Mind you, tools in my shop don't get rusty, Hmm! Could it be something to do with the Briwax! :D
It's a good lubricant for planes too.

Latest posts

Back