Is 1hp enough?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire_frogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been rattling on about getting a new lathe for a while now. I'm down to the finalists which is a relief !!! It's taken sooooo long because to me it's a huge decision that has to be right. The record power maxi 1, the stratos FU230 and the Killinger KM1400 are the finalists. Ideally I wanted to be bellow the £2k so the stratos is pushing the budget, but is 1hp enough ? I'm pushing my turning trying hard to progress and grow my skills. I burnt out my old axi AWVSL900 doing hollow forms etc so I'm wondering is a single hp enough. I really want a quality lathe like everyone I guess, but thought I would ask what power do you all have, is it enough and what do you turn with your lathe ? Any preference over my top three ?

Thanks everyone :D

For someone where time is money, possibly not, but even professionals had to put up with less power on older lathes.

I've posted several times before that I had a Draper mini lathe with a 250w motor which was easy to stop so the cuts were tempered to deal with the lack of power. The only thing it really struggled with was using a Forstner type bit into end grain but it wasn't meant for that type of work.

Again, I've said that the (33 mm) Record Maxi is the best value for money on the market. I believe I compared it to the two that you mentioned.

With a £2k budget you should be able to get just about any lathe if you look at used. My VB has 2HP and can still be stopped if poor technique used, all the power in the world wont cure that.

More power is always better but torque is also important; best to talk to owners or dealers.
Possibly some of the people on this Killinger review can be contacted? https://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/fo ... html#87321
The Killinger 1450 is about the same price and power as the Stratos if you do decide to go above your budget.
Or buy a small lathe now, to feed your addiction while you wait for a good second hand one to come up.
The Maxi is likely to have better long term support simply because it has a five year warranty.
Duncan

Remember you need more torque as you turn larger diameters, are you planning to do big diameters or mostly spindle work? that would make a difference when choosing the motor rating.

Fire_frogs, I'm surprised that the Axminster AT1628VS isn't on your shortlist. I have one and couldn't be happier with it. It has coped with everything I have thrown at it with ease including 15" bowls turned from heavy out-of-round blanks. Hollowing large vessels is no problem. It's had a LOT of use and continues to run smoothly and quietly. With the cast iron legs it is a tad under £2k and has a 2HP motor.

Thanks guys,
There is a lot to think about here with all your comments !
You've all given me very helpful comments. I will checkout the axi lathe as well. To add to all this confusion ..... the nova galaxi 1624-44 with a digital motor !
I would have loved a second hand lathe but they don't come up much.

Thanks again and please add any posts you think may help me with my decision because I'm going around in circles, no pun intended :D

Much appreciated everyone.

My current lathe is rated 1 HP ( minus whatever losses there are by using a VFD) It has limits, but so do I and it is powerful enough to scare the living daylights out of me if I make a mistake. (It also has a lot of rotational inertia due to the design and the heavy chucks I use)

To reach its limits, I as a hobby turner would have to stray into methods and modes of using tools that I personally don't relate to wood turning.

Back