Irwin quick-grip XP clamps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatthumb

Reaction score
Anyone out there got anything to say on these. The non XP ones always seemed a bit feeble and very expensive. These are said to be better and I'm looking to upgrade all my workshop clamps so was wondering if anyone had any advice and also knew of any shops that do a bulk discount ie packs of five?

Thanks.

I've been using the non-XP ones for a few years now. They are very good for "quick" tasks like holding something in place while you work on it, and for certain types of glue-ups (they are good for gluing edging onto ply for example - I basically clamp the ply and butt the clamp bar against the edging).

I wouldn't use them for any glue-ups where the surfaces being glued could be moved out of position by the clamping action though as the clamp jaws don't move parallel to each other. I find this problem increases with the length of the clamp, so although I have a few longer ones I invariably only use the 6" ones (but I use them a lot). They apply a lot of pressure too (more than I would have expected) but not as much as a good threaded clamp.

I haven't used the XP ones, but as the style seems similar, I'd wonder whether they could overcome the issues that arise with the standard ones. But those issues are only a problem under certain circumstances though.

I bought some of these before they started using the Irwin brand name; they are really good. Always what I reach for first.
Then I bought some Cheapo versions (yellow fittings)from either Aldi or Lidl - they are nearly as good and are slightly longer.
Then the next year they had some more (red fittings) - they are not so good as the first lot, but even so well worth the money.
Went off the other week and bought one of these Irwin jobs - it isn't as good as my second rate Lidl ones and about 10 times the price.

I have 2 Irwin XP Clamps and am very impressed by them. I have only ever owned cheapy quick grips. But these are miles ahead. They just keep on clamping. Very well made and solid, though a result of this is increased weight. I'd certainly buy them again if I needed more quick grips.

If you are interested, Marc Spagnuolo (AKA The Wood Whisperer) does a little comparison between the standard and the XP clamps in the Clamps episode of his video blog.

In short he says they are much improved, heavier duty and his choice of the two types.

Cheers

Andy

After posting earlier, I had another look at the cheapos

The weakness is the steel pin in the handle trying to pop through the plastic sides as you put on the pressure.
I've drilled out the plastic either side & replaced the pin with a nut & bolt all the way through. Took 5 minutes per clamp. They work great now!

I think I paid £5 for a set of two with a 18" capacity plus two very usefull dinky ones.
I'll be looking out for some more!!

Back