Irwin Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter45@

Established Member
Reaction score
image.jpg

Hi all, This Irwin clamp has stopped working because the serrations on the side of the vertical silver bar have become blunt. It’s a bit disappointing because it’s not had a lot of use. Is there any way of re-sharpening the serrations? I did think of drilling a few holes between the steel bar and the movable bit of the clamp to lock it in , with a locking pin or bolt, but it’s a bit of a Faf. Any other ideas?

It's a bit tedious, but you can re-shape the serrations with a hacksaw or thin file. It's best to do both sides.
A couple of light strokes on each...... a bit like sharpening a saw.

The metal is a bit soft compared to more expensive clamps, so it's an easy cut........ but the soft metal contributes to the problem in the first place.

I'd start with a piece of very coarse sandpaper and scratch the burnished peaks to give them some bite. Like fresh 80 grit paper with a hardwood backer.

exact same problem on same clamps. I drilled mine and put a 5mm pin in. its made a much better and bit slower clamp. took about 5m per clamp as there very soft.

Back