Iroko please advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
irokow.jpg

I have two pieces of this, 85x85mm, around 400mm long, and I thought perhaps I could use it on my next jewellery box. However you can most probably see that the grain runs at an angle to the side.

Should I resaw parallel to the side or should I resaw at an angle running with the grain?.

I am concerned that the grain will be too wild if running parallel.

PS the timber has been in my garage for around 20 years, I never had the equipment to do anything with it until 4 years ago.

Hi devonwoody
you can resaw it to the side and bookmatch it , Iroko can have wild grain but is pritty (? ) stable.
So resaw away and enjoy :)
I willl be mading a back door from some Iroko this summer as I can get it for £10 a cube ( just needs planing as it has been outside and is grey )

I've used this timber quite allot for outside applications as its practically bullet proof as far as the weather is concerned, its about as good as teak but at at a fraction of the cost. However, be warned, it is a nightmare IMO to work with particularly to machine as it gives of a very peppery, irritating dust. Be advised to wear a good mask when you cut/sand it or your nose will itch for about a week.

I can only endorse the comments of woodbloke on the caution front John, I personally am violently allergic to it, causes sever Nettle Rash and a host of other problems.

You may be perfectly OK with it, my neighbor works with it all the time and has no problems to date. *

When I used some sapele with very contrary grain patterns some years ago to modify a staircase and fit new banister I did not have anything other than a Stanley No4, I resorted to making a simple scraper and that mastered the roque grain problems.

If you can obtain a good finish on a side of the piece as it is then I see no reason why you should not just slice it off to the thickness required.

* very frustrating not being able to take advantage of his off-cuts for turning. :x

love the timber hate working with it.
be very careful ripping it can sometimes contain alot of tension and will easily bind a saw blade.or get thrown back at you!!!!
with sharp tools should be able to work it ok

After reading the replies above, I am coming to realise why I have left it in the garage all those years (the offcuts came from posts that I used when erecting our rear leanto).
I will post a picture of the outcome after cutting.

Latest posts

Back