irish jokes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Garnham":3atz6yti said:
I'll admit to reporting this.

I hate racial stereotyping of any sort.....Welshmen & New Zealanders with sheep, Irishmen being dim, Scotsman being tight, etc. I always ask the question "would this be acceptable if you replaced the butt of this joke with a black man or someone gay or someone crippled?". All of those in the past were acceptable targets for jokes.

I love a good joke, but think that Irish jokes should be consigned to history along with anything else that makes it acceptable to denigrate whole groups of people.

I'll bet no-one can repudiate my reasoning without including the meaningless phrase "politically correct"!

Mike

Completely agree. No place for this sort of thing here, in my opinion. Left unchecked you will get the sort of really offensive 'humour' seen in another place.

And they aren't actually witty, or even very funny. Just repeating outdated stereotypes.

Surely all jokes make fun of somebody/something at which someone could get offended. So should all jokes be banned from the forum?

I can't imagine a joke thread devoted to "Bankers" or "Dizzy Blondes" would get reported.

PC overboard.

Cheers

Karl

Its not an echo BSM is one of them tree fellers :lol:

I also find it disturbing that the first comment is an encouragement from a Moderator...

And you don't have to be Irish to be offended by a racist joke, in just the same way that you don't have to be Asian to object to the BNP...

I do wish some people would put 'In my opinion' in their posts and not state that something is fact just because they think so.

Go on, now find a post of mine where I've done just that. :roll:

Surely the main reason for not displaying a lack of taste in this way is that it causes argument. Politics and religion are banned (and it seems to me that these jokes go some way into that) so why not jokes that other people find offensive?

Or do we think that offending for the sake of it is in some way laudable?

Smudger":1kryldal said:
That would be 'In my opinion?' :D

Good Man, you know it makes sense (Sorry, slipped into Delboy mode there for a second)

Can anyone tell I'm bored today? Must be the constant Rain.

Smudger":y701346p said:
Or do we think that offending for the sake of it is in some way laudable?
We? Do you mean you and me? Are we the only ones left? Damn.

You may have a point in that I'm not sure this is quite the right place for such jokes. That's not say I think such jokes should be banned outright.

He awoke to the sound of birds in the trees.

Putting on his grey, drab, shapeless shift (because it had been decreed that tight trousers were offensive as they highlighted his non-female parts) he went downstairs. Entering the grey painted kitchen, he sat down for his bowl of gruel because it had long been decreed that all imports of non-native foodstuffs such as sultanas (actually we can't call them sultanas any more as that highlights the plight of forced marriages) was not right and exploitative of those who were not living in the non-Scottish, non-Irish, non-Welsh part of what used to be known as the United Kingdom. The fact that the economies of several African countries ceased to be viable was not considered relevant.

He wound up the clockwork on his radio to listen to white noise (because it had been decreed that all radio programmes would offend someone somewhere at sometime or other so better not to have them broadcast in the first place). In any case, humour had long been banned as any joke offended someone, somewhere at sometime or other.

As he had no work to go to, he went back upstairs to bed.

Smudger":21db7008 said:
I also find it disturbing that the first comment is an encouragement from a Moderator...

And you don't have to be Irish to be offended by a racist joke, in just the same way that you don't have to be Asian to object to the BNP...

Although I cannot really speak for Noel, I am sure that like my family he has heard them so often that they are taken as meant "a joke"

That said I do not think there is anything wrong with the way either Mike or Dick has complained about what they think is racist. At least it shows that they care.

Cheers

Mike

Tom K":38f98ft1 said:
Its not an echo BSM is one of them tree fellers :lol:

lol - theres either a problem with the forum server or my isp , it hangs until you click repeatedly then posts several times - as its just me i guess its my computer/isp

One morning, three Irish men and three English men were in a
ticket counter line at a train station. The three English each bought a
ticket and watched as the three Irish bought just one ticket.
'How are the three of you going to travel on only one ticket?'
asked one of the English.
'Watch and learn,' answered one of the Irish.

All six boarded the train where the three English men sat down,
but the three Irish crammed into a toilet together and closed the door..
Shortly after the train departed, the conductor came around to collect
tickets.

He knocked on the toilet door and said, 'Ticket, please.'

The door opened just a crack and a single arm emerged with a
ticket in hand. The conductor took it and moved on. The English saw this
happen and agreed it was quite a clever idea. Indeed, so clever they
decided to do the same thing on the return trip and save some money.

That afternoon when they got back to the station, they bought a
single ticket for the return trip and watched, while to their
astonishment,the three Irish didn't buy even one ticket!
'How are you going to travel without a ticket?' asked a
perplexed English man. 'Watch and learn,' answered the three Irish boys
in unison.

When they boarded the train, the three English crammed
themselves into a toilet and the three Irish crammed into another toilet
just down the way. Shortly after the train began to move, one of the
Irish left the toilet and walked over to the toilet in which the English
were hiding.
The Irish knocked on the door and said, 'Ticket, please.'

I'm Irish, I live in Ireland, I hear Irish jokes every day, we all laugh.
Not a lot of good has come out of this place - potato famine, Titanic and the Good Friday Agreement, Irish theme pubs - nothing much else but if we help people laugh it ain't no bad thing.
I'm not sure I subscribe to the notion that a person can be offended on behalf of others they do not know nor never met but having said that there are instances where it's obvious that things are said or written that would cause offence, I just don't thing Irish jokes are an example of this.
And as mentioned above everybody has a right to report a post, that's what the facility is there for.
Yes, server is very slow.

I wonder....

A Jewish chap admires a wrist watch that his Jewish friend is wearing.
'Yes,' his friend comments. 'It belonged to a very great friend of mine who died recently. He knew he was dying and asked to see me, and when I entered his room he took it off his wrist and..... sold it to me!'
'I got my own back,' he commented. ' I gave him a cheque!'

...now it's either funny or it's not funny IMO, and that applies whether the story teller is Jewish or any other. The story was originally recited by a Jewish comedian at a celebration for Roger Moore, who roared with laughter, as did many dozens of other guests.

And I enjoyed it.

Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back