Invitation to post pics of your garden workshops with sizes!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dance

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking into FINALLY acquiring a garden workshop...or building my own.

It would need to be insulated and probably of wooden construction because I think one of brick would be damp.

How difficult an undertaking is this? Is there a book that would be recommended reading?

many thanks...

I have a garden workshop 12'x8' and of wood construction I brought mine because it worked out cheaper to buy and was well made I could have built one but it would not have saved me much all I had to do was put down a good base the shed supplyers even put it up its nice and warm because I insulated it and use an electric oil filled radiator.

Would entirely depend on your skill levels, budget, time factor and other issues too numerous to mention. Can you be a bit more specific in your requirements? You say a brick one will be damp but that's not strictly true. Mine is breeze block and is insulated. It is not damp at all.

skipdiver":1vd8roqe said:
You say a brick one will be damp but that's not strictly true. Mine is breeze block and is insulated. It is not damp at all.
Yep I don't class breeze blocks as bricks - but that may be my mistake!
hammer n nails":1vd8roqe said:
I have a garden workshop 12'x8' and of wood construction I brought mine because it worked out cheaper to buy and was well made I could have built one but it would not have saved me much all I had to do was put down a good base the shed supplyers even put it up its nice and warm because I insulated it and use an electric oil filled radiator.

Who did you use, please? And do you find 12x8 to be a good size? If you or other members have pics of your interiors (so to speak!) I'd be VERY interested!! Thank you

I was going to go down the self build route aswell but when I priced up the materials (approx £1800) I found I could get a solid workshop for £2100 without any of the hassle. I only had to do the concrete base and also put it all together but with my limited skills I think that was the better option than trying to do it myself aswell as the fact I saved all the time but only had to pay £300 more. Mine is insulated with loft rock wool stuff and I have a small heater just incase.

technium":134m7cqo said:
I was going to go down the self build route aswell but when I priced up the materials (approx £1800) I found I could get a solid workshop for £2100 without any of the hassle. I only had to do the concrete base and also put it all together but with my limited skills I think that was the better option than trying to do it myself aswell as the fact I saved all the time but only had to pay £300 more. Mine is insulated with loft rock wool stuff and I have a small heater just incase.

Who did you use, please? And what size? Many thanks!

sorry size is 17' x 8'6" with apex roof and 5ft wide double doors aswell as two windows 1 of which 24" x 22" and the other is 48" x 36". I used www.heavyduty-sheds.com who were excellent. I had 4 x 2 flooring, 3 x 2 framework and I think it was 18 or 22mm cladding and that price also included delivery and installing damp proof sheet under the cladding so it was ready for me to insulate.

Hi, I bought a Bill O Clubhouse, it is 5m x 4.5m, it cost around £2500 with my extra's. I had to put it together myself, but that was easy enough. The timber is 50mm thick, so it does not need a lot of insulation. I am really delighted with it. Have a look on their website, they do a wide range of sizes and styles.

Harry

Building a workshop is quite an interesting project if its the sort of thing you like doing.

It isnt necessarily cheaper, but you can achieve a higher spec for the same cost. One disadvantage of a ready built structure is that they dont have a cavity. If you mae your own you can build the studwork, clad with osb board,cover with tyvek membrane, then screw on battens and fix on cladding. The finished structure will be very damp and draught proof.

I bought & put up a Finn Forest Summer House a few years back and was impressed with the quality.

Finn Forest Pelli.jpg

Here's a link to a Finn Forest Garage/Workshop that is on offer at the monent....

http://www.cabinliving.co.uk/woodengara ... =54&range=

Another option here, http://www.cabinliving.co.uk/log-cabin. ... ptions=390 ....it just depends on how big you want to go and how much space you have.

It might give you a few more ideas..!!!

Tim.

Attachments

• Finn Forest Pelli.jpg
    Finn Forest Pelli.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 310
Sorry, thats my bad typing. Google BillyOh Clubhouse, it is with a company called Gardenbuildingsdirect

:D

Time constraints can be a major influence on whether to buy ready-made or build your own but having looked at the, admittedly, very good looking sheds in the links I would still build my own.

I'm about to start building a desperately needed workshop so had more than a passing interest in this thread and I checked out the equivalent sized buildings on offer in the links. A summer house that I built in 2015 (my-sitooterie-t90558.html) was 5m x 4m and cost in the region of £2,200 all in. My workshop will be a similar size and I can't get down to that price for any of the ready made buildings on offer - and, critically, none of these buildings have a ventilation gap which I consider essential to the lifetime of a wooden building.

I mentioned time constraints. If you're working then it's obvious that time is precious, but as a retired person I'm becoming increasingly aware of the march of time so my time is also precious - only for different reasons! I will still build my own though, despite that.

These are just my thoughts and no criticism is implied. I would rather people had a full set of facts to consider before spending their money, that's all.

Off to enjoy Burns Night now :eek:ccasion5:

Slainte!

I built mine in 2 sessions about 3yrs apart
only because I was "allowed" more space,so I extended the original
the extension had a dry roof from start to finish in a week off work, including taking the front off the first one
was enjoyable to build and probably more solid than the sheds

Steve

Scoffy, that's a very interesting design. Got any pics of your build? Do you do it log by log or are the panels preassembled (don't see how they can be!) is the design flexible on positions of windows and doors?

Keith

If your making it from timber ...remember, you might decide for making allowances for concrete "storage" against the walls in future (hehe)
Good luck
Is gumtree any good for free/very cheap building materials where you are ?
Might be worth a look.

Here's mine, 6mx3m pent design. Block foundations, 4x2 stud work, larch cladding, EPDM roof, double glazed windows, oh and it as a door now! It'll have cost about £2600 in materials to get it to the completed building stage and could easily be used as a normal shed, it'll be another £1400 to do the insulation, electrics, lights, internal lining etc. Oh plus a gizzilion hours of my time. If you build yourself it's fun but my two pieces of advice would be get some help with the foundations and buy already finished cladding; surface finishing, thicknessing, and edging 500 meters of the stuff has been so time consuming and such a pain, and only saved me about £300.

IMG_3340.JPG

If you're interested there is a build http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post1107619.html?hilit= pent#p1107619 on here that I need to update at some point.

F.

edit you're, gah

Attachments

• IMG_3340.JPG
    IMG_3340.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 151
Back