Introduction to template guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

template tom

Established Member
Reaction score
It has been some time since I logged into the forum suppose I have been busy with a few topics. First I have been producing my own Dining Room chairs all eight of them and all carvers. I have also been making visits to schools talking to teachers on the safety aspects of using the router then on to conducting Professional development. Also a number of years ago I produced a couple of CD-Roms on the method I have developed with the use of the Template guides. I have also been seen on another forum since 2004 trying to move them on to at least try a project with the guides.

I have also been spending a great deal of time producing DVD material on the use of the router, the topics were what I had produced as a CD-ROM. I was persuades to convert them to the DVD format and that has taken some time In fact I am still working on the second section.

Three weeks ago I made an offer to members (The first ten to reply) from the Australian woodworking Forum to view my DVDs at a reduced price, and give their comments. You may catch some of their comments in the next few weeks as they try the technique I have developed

The use of the template guides has always been a hard one to sell and I was wondering what the situation is like back in the old country. Is the use of the guides popular and what sort of projects are carried out with their use. I went back teaching for a year in 2003 where I was teaching blind people woodwork and that was a great experience for me, I suppose it could be said it was the best class I ever had the pleasure to teach in my 31 years teaching experience. Just one day per week as I had retired some 4 years before.

I would be interested in the development that has taken place in the UK with the use of the guides if some would care to comment. I would love to post a couple of pics of my chairs I have produced with the router also a couple of neat joints (a) a tenon on a mitred rail for a table and (b) a sliding dovetail on a mitred rail again for a small table.

So if some one would like to inform me as to whether the guides are popular or not and what sort of projects are produced I would be most grateful
Tom

Maybe someone can advise me on how to post the pics

Hello Tom

I meant to reply to this the other day, I would really like to see your DVD material and pictures. I remember your posts on the router forums and your work with router templates has always amazed me. I hope you can keep posting here and show us your work. I think template routing is a seriously underused technique which is a loss to the power tool woodworking genre. Please come back soon and if you have any problems posting images on the forum, feel free to PM me.

yeah, I'd be interested to see your template work too.

And if I can figure the picture thing out it must be easy!! You need to use photobucket or a variant and paste the image code. You'll figure it out.

Hope to see some pics soon!!

Neil(Happy new year one and all)

I also would be interested in seeing your template workings.

I route with templates, but these are fixed to the work. As in the Trend Router carver system.
It's a shame that Trend has ceased selling most of these templates but I have found a company in the USA that markets them under another name.

John. B

OK, so I went out and bought a few template router bits, for a small fortune, and I am now ready to go!! I am thinking about trying to involve the template work into the kitchen plans somehow - is this gonna be easy?

c'mon back!!!

Over and out

Neil

Sadly about twice a year TemplateTom pops up with a post about template routing and then disappears. It's a shame because he really is a master at this technique. If he really is putting together some DVD's then I'll be investing

Back