Internet Explorer HELP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Every time I try to log on I get a message:

Internet Explorer has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":2dt139um said:

Have you installed all the recent updates?

What version of windows are you running.

Don't use IE is the best course of action!

IE is a target for every hacker and malware producer on the planet, full of bugs and probably has more security holes than every other browser combined!

Firefox is a much better option, or even chrome which I am currently using just for a change of scenery :D

Louise-Paisley":101hred9 said:
....Firefox is a much better option, ..

I suppose that's why Firefox 16 was withdrawn because of serious security issue and folks advised to roll back to 15 while the got rid of the problem.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19917466
:lol:

Chrome and Safari are not without holes either.

I think Mikes problem is more likely to be with an add on or other local machine error than any vulnerability of I.E.

Mike, does it work in compatability mode or have you tried disabling any Add-Ons you have installed.

try starting it like this,

/start/run/iexplore -extoff

and see if it starts then, if it does its probably an addon

I use Chrome and never had a problem with it. I stopped using Firefox earlier this year, having used it for many years, as I found it sometimes hung the machine or slowed it down. I only ever use IE with my work machine.

CHJ":36h3spjy said:
Mike.C":36h3spjy said:

Have you installed all the recent updates?

What version of windows are you running.

Hi Chas, yes I all the recent updates (before putting them back I removed them to see if any of those were causing the problem). I am running Vista.

Cheers

Mike

First thing I would try is removing it from Windows via Add/Remove Programs and the windows tab. Then I would reinstall the latest version and see if that fixes it.

terrymck":2v8iwmdp said:
I use Chrome and never had a problem with it. I stopped using Firefox earlier this year, having used it for many years, as I found it sometimes hung the machine or slowed it down. I only ever use IE with my work machine.
Regardless of which browser, the fact that you have never experienced a security issue or been hacked does not mean that the browser is secure, just that your machine was not targeted.

In my experience most browser problems come about because of add-ons or tweaks that other software vendors have a habit of loading "with a view to enhancing your experience" and then don't update. And between them all trying to corner your searching or advertising potential end up clogging up the works.

The difference between firefox and most other browsers and IE is that bugs and problems in IE are left in and they expect everyone else to create a workaround and because of microsofts crappy corporate attitude IE is infinitely more likely to have security holes exploited by every script kiddy on the planet - you have a much greater chance of BEING targeted.

The firefox 16 issue was online for one day then pulled and fixed, holes in IE can remain for months even after they have been published on every security reporting site on the web.

But each to his own, if you like IE then continue to use it by all means :)

Get chrome Mike, its much faster than both Firefox and Internet Explorer should only be used once in your computer lifetime, and thats to navigate to the chrome download page.

Its probably an add-on, do you use Skype or rapport? If so I've had both of them crash my browser.

Also do you have any custom toolbars installed?

It could also be worth clearing out the cookies.

In terms of browsers, I agree I don't really like I.E, but to think the others are by default more secure I think is an little naive ...... all the browsers can have security issues.

Adobe acrobat reader used to have massive security issues, but I bet most people would still use that ......

Just my thoughts
John

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

During the 2011 hacker conference, Pwn2Own, hackers attacked four popular browsers: Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. The hackers were able to quickly compromise Internet Explorer and Safari. In fact, these hackers were able to hack the browsers so thoroughly that they managed to write files on the hard drive of the computer they were attacking. Interestingly (and contrary to the Accuvant study findings), Chrome and Firefox both resisted hacking attacks during the exercise.

Mike.C":51i1dm0u said:
Every time I try to log on I get a message:

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mike

Mike I assume you still have Internet access?

Louise-Paisley":3euhlx9y said:
During the 2011 hacker conference, Pwn2Own, hackers attacked four popular browsers: Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. The hackers were able to quickly compromise Internet Explorer and Safari. In fact, these hackers were able to hack the browsers so thoroughly that they managed to write files on the hard drive of the computer they were attacking. Interestingly (and contrary to the Accuvant study findings), Chrome and Firefox both resisted hacking attacks during the exercise.

Well you got me there :)

But I don't think I really explained my point properly. Yes in general chrome and Firefox are more secure, but not always, security vulnerabilities are always a possibility. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago chrome had a lot of security issues.

Things change with time, and I don't really like sweeping statements where people say one is better than the other. I once read that Firefox was the best browser and I used it blindly for 3-4 years, turns out is was slow as hell compared to chrome :s

Though it is worrying that the two least secure browsers in that test are written by the two companies who develop the most common operating systems :s

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I think there is a tendency for folk to suggest that the best browser is the one they use, just like me I have used IE since it came out never had had a problem. There may be better browsers but why would I want to try if mine is ok. If mine failed I would not just load another I would try and find out why.

Back