Internal cuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiJimi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I want to cut out an insert from a pattern, but I don't want it to show where I have started cutting. Does this make sense? I know I need to drill a small hole to pass the blade through, but won't this still show - won't there be a slightly wider part on the line?

Is is best to drill the hole in a corner or on the line?

Jimi

If you're doing what they call "veigning" (cutting a line but not actually removing a lump of waste wood) then the hole is bound to show and it's up to you to find a place to drill where it's impact will be minimum. If you're cutting out rings for a bowl then agian technically the hole would always show but in this case it's usually pretty heavily sanded afterwards anyway.

Can you post the bit of the pattern you're talking about?

Col.

If the 'cut out' is larger than the line, it doesn't matter where the hole is. Cut near the line and take the rest out. If oit is only the line and you need to retain everything, then you need a fine drill bit of 1mm or less, just enough to get the blade in, then it shouldn't show. Fine drill bits are avaiable on Amazon and elsewhere.

Malcolm

Back