INTERLINKED SMOKE AND HEAT ALARMS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpercysnodgrass

Established Member
Reaction score
It is about time I upgraded my smoke alarms in the house. I like the idea of the interlinked ones especially being able to have a heat detector in the kitchen and smoke detectors else where. Does anybody have experience/advise on brands?

Aico all the way - you can find them on eBay sometimes but watch the expiry dates as some traders are flogging old stock.

They do wired and wireless - the benefit from the wired ones that use a 3 core & earth is that they can be silenced and tested using a test switch somewhere convenient.

https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei1529rc-hard-wired-alarm-control-switch/

I’ve got Fireangel wireless interlinked smoke alarms across our house with a heat detector in the kitchen. The interlink function works well, however the batteries don’t seem to last the 10years stated. I’ve only had them up 5 years and had to replace 3 already

I have recently had to do this as I'm Scotland based. I went with battery alarms from Linked Up Alarms, cost £175 for 4xsmoke, 1xheat, 1xCO. There were a number of firms offering similar but their price incl. delivery was the keenest. They seem reasonable quality, easy to interlink, and work effectively when tested. Testing does mean you have to press the button on one of them, which I managed to do multiple times during installation. Can't comment on the longevity of the units yet, allegedly they are 10yr units. I picked battery operated rather than mains for the ease of install.

In Scotland they are compulsory now. I have had interlinked alarms for about 10 years, would never be without them now.
Having a heat alarm in the kitchen. You don't get nuisance triggering, but to get triggering, there needs to be a large source of heat. I'm sure the temperature at the sensor has to be 55C, i.e already a flaming fire. So you are trading convenience for more damage/risk should something terrible happen. I know fire services promote heat detectors in the kitchen, but I prefer to have a smoke detector for the earliest detection and have both types in a kitchen in case there is a smokeless flame. Belt and braces!!
In Scotland, it is the law to have a heat detector in the kitchen. They should have given the householder the option. I put a heat detector and a smoke detector in my kitchens and workshop. I now have optical smoke detectors. Previously, I had ionisation. I prefer the ionisation, it gives the earliest warning. Sure, they are susceptible to triggering when the toast burns, but I found that comforting, like a regular self test. You can also pause them. The ionisation would trigger if I ran a petrol engine in the workshop, or burnt wood when cutting. I just found that very reassuring. I have had the kitchen thick with smoke when doing a major steak cooking and the optical sensors didn't go off.
I replaced the old system, because the detectors were end of life, but I may put the old ionisation detectors back up.
I went for the mains powered alarms. I already had the wiring. Smoke Alarm, Heat alarm and Base

Thank you for those replies, very helpful. When the batteries run out can you replace the battery or does the whole unit need changing? Also, what is the limit of the range for two units to link?

On the mains powered units I have, the battery are replaceable PP3.
I also forgot to say, I used wired, because I couldn't be sure the RF would connect over the length of my house and wall thickness. WiFi won't but I suspect the RF interconnect would be more sturdy and fail safe if connection is lost? I don't trust wireless systems.

None replaceable battery on my units, would have to replace the unit. If they last 10 yrs I'm ok with £17.5 per year.

It seems like all the units try to talk to each other, they go off in a chained fashion. The longest distance in my house is kitchen to downstairs hall, c. 8m horizontally and 3m vertically, with a 40cm granite wall between and one doorway.
Fire Alarms.JPG

PS: Yes I have a sketchup model of my house.

There are different types of sensors for different areas, some are heat sensitive whilst others are smoke sensitive using optical detection which would pick up on a slow smouldering type of thermal event where there are traces of smoke but no detectable source of heat. It is also worth including linked monoxide detectors in rooms with boilers and the bedroom.

Fully wired units with battery backup is my first choice, otherwise the ones with non replacable lithium batteries as mentioned by Fitzroy are better than those where the user fits the batteries, we can all guess what often happens then.

The best advice here is simply that any fire / smoke detector will always be better than not having one and for detailed advice on your property then local fire services often will be more than happy to advise.

There are different types of sensors for different areas, some are heat sensitive whilst others are smoke sensitive using optical detection which would pick up on a slow smouldering type of thermal event where there are traces of smoke but no detectable source of heat. It is also worth including linked monoxide detectors in rooms with boilers and the bedroom.

Fully wired units with battery backup is my first choice, otherwise the ones with non replacable lithium batteries as mentioned by Fitzroy are better than those where the user fits the batteries, we can all guess what often happens then.

The best advice here is simply that any fire / smoke detector will always be better than not having one and for detailed advice on your property then local fire services often will be more than happy to advise.
I had been in the house for 10yrs and I replaced non interlinked units that I thought i had tested occasionally. The lack of a battery in 2 of the 3 replaced units told a different story!

Thank you again for the replies, all very useful info there, I will look more closely at getting wired in ones but if that is not possible then I suppose the disposable ones would be fine if they do last ten years.

I have the Google nest, and they work pretty well, also the built in motion night light is pretty handy for the increasing night time trips to the toilet.

Just make a bit of the codes on the back of them before installing or any changes to home wireless means you need to get the ladders out again

I have the Google nest, and they work pretty well
It is my understanding that these systems will not meet the legal requirements in Scotland, because they don't have an interconnected heat detector, but it's only Scottish households that need to be concerned. I think there is a clause in the legislation that you just have to meet the 'essential requirements' so I think having just an interlinked smoke detector in the kitchen should meet the essential requirements.

Aico are about the best you can get, Heat and CO combined units for areas with combustion units in the room, the wireless link can be silenced from a central point on a wireless switch, the greatest distance between alarms in my house is 20M with a 600mm solid flint wall between the kitchen and a shed in the garden, the non replaceable battery is not just the battery lasting, but the sensors also have a life limit, so replacing after ten years is the norm, I have a stock of current Aico alarms that I am selling off as I am retired and don't fit anymore, PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
I think Aico are the only ones that have the facility to download the status from the Alarm to an iPhone to allow a report to be given to the Landlord or kept for your own testing portfolio.

Attachments

• AudioLINK Report redacted.pdf
    156.9 KB · Views: 0
It is about time I upgraded my smoke alarms in the house. I like the idea of the interlinked ones especially being able to have a heat detector in the kitchen and smoke detectors else where. Does anybody have experience/advise on brands?
I've used Kidd wired ones as I'm in a bungalow was easy to slot them in the lighting circuit, they are an old company I have experience of them in the workplace and home good reviews too.

If I have two smoke alarms lets say in the attic, one has an RF transmitter and one does not then the would the RF one still send a message to my phone even if the non RF alarm triggered first?

Back