Interesting pieces of furniture - 13

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Here we go, the 13th piece of furniture in the series, once again suggested by a member who pm'ed me a while back

Here is a piece that might provoke discussion - Maker is Zivko Radenkov
I know very little about him other than that he trained under Krenov at College of Redwoods. I would guess from his name that he's of Russian extraction which might account for the stunning (I think ) marquetry (content of rather than execution of - if you see what I mean) I think the marquetry adds something to the possibly rather derivative piece which appears to be very obviously in the style of JK, or at least a style associated strongly with him. The piece in the picture is apparently his latest piece.

eimage3.jpg

eimage2.jpg

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

I will copy all items of furniture I post here into a single sticky thread in the Design Forum, thus creating a pictorial 'list' of interesting furniture here

Looks to be beautifully executed and very pretty but I cannot for the life of me understand the fascination with Krenov's cabinets. The needle really got stuck in the groove I feel.

I googled Zivko Radenkov and got http://www.pritameames.com/archives.html amongst others. Big page with lots of images - be prepared to wait if you haven't got broadband.
Interesting - it puts a name to this sort of stuff - "American Studio Furniture".
In fact nearly all the things on this thread so far could be examples of the same. Furniture aspiring to be art. I'd call it "novelty furniture" perhaps. To be realistic it's a very tiny part of the world of furniture.
This cupboard looks very pretty though, and there is a similar bit of his marquetry on the site above.
Slightly spoilt by the legs which are a bit ploddy. That's the JK influence perhaps, JK for me is kinda worthy but boring - makes me think of school woodwork; the sorts of things which would win prizes at the end of term.
This cupboard is better than that.

cheers
Jacob

Cabinet here looks quite good though stand is a trifle to heavy for me, in fact the whole piece could be made lighter. Nothing here to give a sense of scale though - Rob

Mr_Grimsdale":awb424gr said:
Slightly spoilt by the legs which are a bit ploddy.

cheers
Jacob

I Read what you wrote Jacob and it made me think how often when I'm constructing a piece in my workshop a client will come in and say how lovely it is and could they have one. Ten minutes later someone else will arrive and say how much they hate it.
And so it is with the legs, I really like them, perhaps I'm becoming staid, but I like the gentle curve.
The top is plainly well crafted, but I'm not a fan of these 1960s drinks cabinets.

Dom

Love the marquetry, not keen on the dimensions of the piece. I agree that the legs look stumpy, IMHO it would look more elegant if the legs were about 6" or so longer, but a beautiful piece nonetheless. I'm generally a fan of Krenov's stuff, but I feel this isn't up to the same design standard, but the craftmanship cannot be questioned.

I quite like this piece but I find marquetry a bit like patterned wallpaper - it can initially look very attractive, but quickly becomes tiresome.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I quite like this piece but i think the base wood doesn't quite blend with the cupboard. I like the way the marquetry bends round the panels, impressive technically i would think.
Owen

Jacob

Send over stuff you like - everything posted in these threads came from members' pms

Can't help but find myself agreeing with everything Jacob's said - and there's a first!

The top is obviously very well executed but not to my taste.

The base is downright ugly and is in no sympathy with the top whatsoever. Why on earth has he made it bigger that the top? It looks like he has plonked the top onto an old coffee table base he had kicking around the workshop.

Perhaps he did!

Rgds
Virgil

Ah well, obviously my 'eye'/appreciative skill still has a long road to travel! Although in my defence it was a natural/ignorant (i.e. not knowing!)/gut reaction.

I thought the item for consideration was the cabinet, I hadn't realised that the leggish thing came with it by design. Ho hum.

So you all know what I'm going to say now?!

Cabinet - elegant and well-proportioned, an occasional piece perhaps (to be seen occasionally that is). On the other hand the well-made things around us we take for granted and don't consciously 'clock' each time we see/pass them. It's the ugly/wrong ones that jar every time!

Legs - said it already

greybeard":1gce4wum said:
snip
On the other hand the well-made things around us we take for granted and don't consciously 'clock' each time we see/pass them. It's the ugly/wrong ones that jar every time!
Yes "good" design is often sorta invisible- it simply looks right and so gets taken for granted as you say.
But "designers" themselves also can't see it. Hence the desperate tendency seen in many of the examples in this thread - to shout "look at me I'm a designer" and to make the product look like a struggle against the odds.
In fact it's become mainstream; the idea that good design and craftsmanship has to look different, possibly weird.
Personally I think the best in wood products is to be found in the traditional/vernacular - excellent stuff all around us designed and made by "anon".
I sometimes think the Makepeaces, Krenovs etc haven't really noticed this stuff and have missed something important.

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":p8mvd67t said:
greybeard":p8mvd67t said:
snip
On the other hand the well-made things around us we take for granted and don't consciously 'clock' each time we see/pass them. It's the ugly/wrong ones that jar every time!
Yes "good" design is often sorta invisible- it simply looks right and so gets taken for granted as you say.
But "designers" themselves also can't see it. Hence the desperate tendency seen in many of the examples in this thread - to shout "look at me I'm a designer" and to make the product look like a struggle against the odds.
In fact it's become mainstream; the idea that good design and craftsmanship has to look different, possibly weird.
Personally I think the best in wood products is to be found in the traditional/vernacular - excellent stuff all around us designed and made by "anon".
I sometimes think the Makepeaces, Krenovs etc haven't really noticed this stuff and have missed something important.

cheers
Jacob

Agree with some of the sentiments here, really good design of anything has the innate ability to 'look right' and because it 'looks right ' it doesn't date and always remains desirable. A few examples ..... the Cutty Sark, Jag D and E types, a Rolex watch, St Paul's cathedral and a Wegner pp501 chair.
I do disagree tho' that allot of the 'anon' vernacular furniture is 'good design' Allot of it simply falls into the mainstream bracket of mediocrity and over time is discarded and fall by the wayside, that some manage to stay the course and are thought of as 'good design' is a product of being more 'fit for purpose' than as an original design statement. In furniture terms the item that springs to mind is the Welsh Dresser which is desirable today as it was when first developed as a practical storage unit two or three hundred years ago.
The Makepieces and Krenov's of this world 'push the envelope' in developing stuff that I can aspire to and to try and influence me to move away from the mundane pieces of more ordinary furniture. Exactly the same argument can be offered in the motoring world...F1 competition continually explores new boundaries in racing and the developments gradually over time filter back into mainstream cars. Think how motors have developed just over the last 30 years....would you still want to drive a Marina or Allegro? - Rob

I love the elegant simplicity of the legs and torso and the way the entire unit seems so balanced, but I find the decoration/marquetry hideous. Down to taste I suppose.

woodbloke":28ay0nbs said:
....would you still want to drive a Marina or Allegro? -

:shock: :shock: Heaven forbid. It's not for nothing that the Allegro acquired the nickname "All agro" :lol:

Paul

Hello all. Thanks for the comments on my latest cabinet. The small portion of woodworkers on this planet that were inspired by Krenov,Makepeace, Wharton Esherick and so on have a different sense of freedom in both work and design. For all that have read Krenov"s book(s) may understand to some degree. It's all connected to the baggage that we collected in our lifetime up to the present.
I never really enjoyed drawing out designs and figuring it out on paper. I like jotting a 20 secong sketch and go with it. This latest cabinet of mine was a fun project. I didn't draw anything at all. I usually at least draw out the marquetry pattern full scale once the scale of piece was determined.This is the first time that I just drew directly onto the veneer and crossed my fingers for some luck. Very fun.
I plan on working this way for a long time. This is my way. Not Krenovs or anyone elses. James Krenov woke that part up inside of me. It was always there. I'm greatful for him. He's my great friend.
I respect most woodworkers. No matter what they're into. As long as their work pleases them and those that live with that work. That's all that matters.
One last thing. I've made projects with drawings and without over the last 20 some odd years. I feel that many woodworkers didn't. Someone out there should try it at least once in their life. No drawings, no rulers and numbers fluttering up in the brain. Just your intuition.From scratch. I think you may like it. One day I hope to get it right. That's my goal.

Cheers !!!!!!
Zivko 8)

waterhead37":16fjjjsj said:
Looks to be beautifully executed and very pretty but I cannot for the life of me understand the fascination with Krenov's cabinets. The needle really got stuck in the groove I feel.
The same can be said of any enduring furniture style which sticks around longer than a flash in the pan.

fwiw, Krenov didn't "invent" this style. Early 20th century modern furniture from the Danes, Sweds, et al, is the culprit. That it struck a chord in Krenov and he continued through his career making it is another thing altogether.

Another fwiw, this style was rejuvenated in the 1950s when Maloof began making furniture that with the exception of his evolving chair designs [over many years] pretty much was based in the same vein of design as Krenov.

Well, no off to welcome the maker.

Take care, Mike

Zivko, welcome to the forum!

Lovely marquetry and very nice paring of materials. Is that Walnut and Cedar or Redwood? Almost looks like Pear for the body, but I am curious.

Take care, Mike

Thanks Mike. It is pearwood. The base is black walnut that my close friend and I had cut down and had it cut into planks when I was a teenager. About 31 years ago. Thought I'd use some of it for once. The marquetry is made of holly, pink ivory. brazilian rosewood, ebony and the large leaves are myrtle and the stems are satinwood.
Hope all is good on the west coast. I love it there.
Sincerly,
Zivko

Hi Zivko,

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to hear from one of the makers featured in this series of interesting furniture.

Paul

Back