Japanese tool box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Been a number of years since ive been in. I lost my details, got caught up in other things and the other day saw a link and decided to sort out the new password and here I am.

TBH not been working much, but occasionally a pic prods a bit of interest and I'll make it.

On one of the woody mags(No, not that type of woody mag:oops::oops:) there was a Japanese style tool box, so I set about that, using some maple and some bubinga.
I changed the sizes from the original and added a small touch of my own.

On the sides I added a lower piece of bubinga, angled in as a handy spot to leave a pencil.
Chap on a bike forum sent me a new pair of Hope bike hubs, in exchange for something he needed, but it was too good a deal on my side so I gave him the toolbox as a way of a thanks.
Lid secures with a compound miter wedge. No nails or screws, glue and wedged tenons and wedged through dowels in bubinga to contrast against the creamy white maple.
All in all I think it turned out rather well.

Attachments

• DSCF2865.JPG
    DSCF2865.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF2878.JPG
    DSCF2878.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF2880.JPG
    DSCF2880.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF2867.JPG
    DSCF2867.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 137
Very smart! Much prettier than my softwood version, though it did have proper rose head nails. That double wedge idea is so simple and effective, it makes you want to try it out.

That's a very smart workbox.

Like Andy, when I saw a picture of one of these, I looked for a nice piece of softwood in the pile and made it v quickly. Although it has some Oriental tools (not of the expensive type) within, my wife liked it and it's been a small coffee table in our garden room ever since.

Although I do admire some of the complex Japanese joints, overlap joinery can be nearly as strong, and I do like to keep things simple.

very nice joinery! making one of these is on my endless to do list, I think the gift will be very well received.

Back