Interesting joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":25298p7f said:
ColeyS1":25298p7f said:
What if the screws in the tenon were a little offset - like a drawbore. It might encourage the shoulders to pull up a little ? :?

Coley,

I don't think it would work. You have to get around the fact that a draw-bore peg works because in effect it 'bullies' it's way into an offset hole, pulling the joint tight. A screw tends to follow the path of least resistance; which is why when re-hanging old doors, you sometimes have to cut a hinge mortice in a different place, because old screw holes, even when plugged, seem to pull the screw towards them! I know this having replaced countless doors in Council Property built in the late 1800s! In the case of your idea, I think the screw would just find the bore and enter at a 'cocked' angle; no torque to pull a joint tight as you envisage. I think.

John

For the most part I would agree with that, in that when mounting hinges the screw has little to stop it from following a path or least resistance... Except, in this case the initial hole is quite deep (relatively speaking), before the screw were to meet with an offset hole. Which I suspect would "encourage" the screw to maintain the prescribed path. And if it were a hearer gauge screw this would help it to resist wandering.

I know when im fitting mop stick handrails to metal brackets I can encourage the joints to squeeze up tight by drilling the pilot hole in the rail slightly to one side of the bracket. It's when the actual screw head trys to seat correctly in the bracket it in effect moves the wood across. I doubt they put the screws in the table for this purpose, just saying it is possible to get the wood to move without physically having a screw in the end grain

Easiest route could be the offset pilot hole. It'll wriggle it's way down a nice clean hole rather than try cutting a new one ;)

SpinDoctor":2cxrptfv said:
Benchwayze":2cxrptfv said:
ColeyS1":2cxrptfv said:
What if the screws in the tenon were a little offset - like a drawbore. It might encourage the shoulders to pull up a little ? :?

Coley,

I don't think it would work. You have to get around the fact that a draw-bore peg works because in effect it 'bullies' it's way into an offset hole, pulling the joint tight. A screw tends to follow the path of least resistance; which is why when re-hanging old doors, you sometimes have to cut a hinge mortice in a different place, because old screw holes, even when plugged, seem to pull the screw towards them! I know this having replaced countless doors in Council Property built in the late 1800s! In the case of your idea, I think the screw would just find the bore and enter at a 'cocked' angle; no torque to pull a joint tight as you envisage. I think.

John

For the most part I would agree with that, in that when mounting hinges the screw has little to stop it from following a path or least resistance... Except, in this case the initial hole is quite deep (relatively speaking), before the screw were to meet with an offset hole. Which I suspect would "encourage" the screw to maintain the prescribed path. And if it were a hearer gauge screw this would help it to resist wandering.

I dunno then. :mrgreen:

Back