Interesting drawer joint idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcb1962

Established Member
Reaction score
This guy has come up with a very clever way of making drawers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S074ke-EJ6U
Not much practical use unless your saw takes dado blades of course but interesting to watch nevertheless.
I'm going to try the same thing on the router table just with a V groove bit at the weekend.

Ye I watched this vid yesterday very clever thinking it all boils down to the price of the custom blade. And as you said that If your saw takes a dado stack

i have seen boxes made with the v groove bit, so it certainly works. Personally I would prefer a mechanical joint- so a drawer base in slips, or a groove.

If I was going for speed, I think I would look harder at the domi drawer idea instead. It would probably end up quicker in the end if you were making a number of drawers. That is providing you had a domino, but I would imagine that you coule achieve the same on a router table with a bit of thought. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=domid ... Ag&dpr=1.1

marcros":vojpenx4 said:
i have seen boxes made with the v groove bit, so it certainly works. Personally I would prefer a mechanical joint- so a drawer base in slips, or a groove.

Yes, the plain mitre obviously wouldn't be any good for drawers, it was the idea of making base and sides from a single square of timber and folding it up that intrigued me, never seen that before

They make loudspeaker cabinets using a V groover, so its not a new idea he has just made it more difficult.

Pete

Racers":19g8cac4 said:
They make loudspeaker cabinets using a V groover, so its not a new idea he has just made it more difficult.

Pete

I wouldn't say more difficult - I'd say better suited to fit a different task. A v groove has little to no real strength on it's own without splines or similar, but then a speaker just sitting on the floor in the corner doesn't need it. The increased surface area of this guys idea is what makes the system. Making sure you have the items grooved the right way (the red / orange) is all you need to keep in mind; so where's the difficulty? It's no different than a panel router bit and it's corresponding negative.

Yes but the glue surface area is half end grain using plywood and even less if you use solid wood.

Pete

Racers":6qvq0xps said:
Yes but the glue surface area is half end grain using plywood and even less if you use solid wood.

Pete

Isn't the edge of ply ALWAYS half end grain, no matter which direction you cut it?

An interesting idea. Perhaps for boxes and such.
Drawers take a lot of abuse over time. Particularly if children and adolescents use them.
It would be interesting to see how they fare in real life situations, a longitudinal study of sorts.

Err - he has reinvented the wheel. The drawers in our kitchen, which must be 25 years old, have a very similar looking joint.

Sheffield Tony":1tarvft8 said:
Err - he has reinvented the wheel. The drawers in our kitchen, which must be 25 years old, have a very similar looking joint.

Yes, I have a drawer lock joint router bit that seems similar.

However, I think the key difference could be that you cut from one piece of wood, and then fold it up. All the other methods I've seen still require separate pieces to be milled, cut, assembled etc.

I have not doubt this is strong enough for 99% of uses, my Ikea furniture has mitered MDF joints with a tiny bottle of cheap glue, and that's held up as a wardrobe / dresser for 10 years +

From what I can see the nice thing about this system, is that you can just cut one piece of ply, then set the fence to the right place on each side, 2 cuts each side, simple glue up, done.

It's for sure that the concept of interlocking joints has been done many times, not sure that's what's new, a joint that folds and fits might be new...

wcndave":3gim2h4n said:
the nice thing about this system, is that you can just cut one piece of ply, then set the fence to the right place on each side, 2 cuts each side, simple glue up, done.

But the downside of that is that you end up with a drawer bottom of 1/2 or 3/4 inch, where 1/4 would do. I'd imagine that would be enough to discourage any commercial use.

phil.p":36rn64j0 said:
wcndave":36rn64j0 said:
, my Ikea furniture has mitered MDF joints with a tiny bottle of cheap glue
The first thing I do with the glue that is supplied with flat packs is throw it away.

Now I just make my own furniture ;-)

I think if you're making 1/2" for shop drawers, or for some furniture that not nicely crafted, the price won't be very different, commercials already have ways of mass producing these joints anyway.

I think the thing that would put me off is the probable £80 for the blade for relatively limited use.

I could see myself using it for a few weeks, knock out all I needed and done. More of a buy and pass on tool.

marcros":1i579kzg said:

If I was going for speed, I think I would look harder at the domi drawer idea instead. It would probably end up quicker in the end if you were making a number of drawers. That is providing you had a domino, but I would imagine that you coule achieve the same on a router table with a bit of thought. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=domid ... Ag&dpr=1.1
Funnily enough I recently made a workshop cabinet and decided to try the domino out as a method of doing through-dowels on drawers. I went with two cuts per domino (one in the side piece, one in the end piece) as my material thickness dictated a 6mm dowel (therefore a 6mm bit + Seneca adapter on the DF700, vs a longer DF700 bit that would've allowed the cut in one plunge). The end result was a lot like this: http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... 6566dc.jpg

It was fairly easy, but I do think the guy's idea with a prototype saw blade is interesting - especially given the nice clean edges on ply. Problem for the UK market of course is that few people have saws capable of taking a dado head (but I suspect the US market is more than big enough to make it a success).

I thought arbours that could take dados were illegal in the EU

I made some big draws from 12 mm birch ply and biscuits, they are holding up fine after15 years of my son slaking them and standing in them.

Pete

Droogs":1o11afyr said:
I thought arbours that could take dados were illegal in the EU
My understanding was that you're not allowed them in a commercial setting due to the need for the motor to be braked (so it spins down quickly when switched off) - the mass of the dado head is too much.

You can (IRC) buy dado head capable machines for private use.

Not quite the same corner detail, but made some small ones from perhaps 9mm MDF like that, but with just a 90 degree v-groove cutter in a router table some 16-17 years ago at school.

Latest posts

Back