Insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading , thieving T...., I thought I had better asess my insurance policy.
I was assured about 2 years ago by my contents people that anything in my garage was covered up to a single item value of £1000, which today would I suppose just about cover the PT and saw.
Anyway as the insurance is up for renewal I rang to clarify what was covered in a garage ie single article claim, and total claim if garage was broken into or burned down. When you start totting total contents it will surprize you!!!
I am waiting an answer.
But then I thought does house build insurance cover rebuilding of a garage if that say burned down, and if any restrictions were applied by insurance co's for working wood with all the fire hazards at home?

What insurance do other woodies have to ensure they are fully covered if a mishap occurs for working in their garage/shed?

Roy,
You have to smile at that comment, because considering the number of people who have viewed the thread and the number of answers of recommendation...there was only you who came back with an answer.
This indicates that there are a lot of woodies..PRAYING!!!!!!

I am speaking with my insurance company at the moment who are saying the bog standard policies don't cover the garage contents to the level that is required to replace . These policies only just about cover contents and building...but are cheap.

As soon as you go outside these parameters the cost goes up.
Is it worth the extra???
Well, as wizzer says if a disaster happens it will happen to him and I seem to have the same luck......but some people just don't even bother insuring and get away with it......
suppose that's life eh?

Same here DW. My shop was built with only three walls, the big stuff came in through the open end then the wall was erected!

Roy.

Most policies only cover stuff in outbuildings to a value of 1K - a few allow you to split the total contents sum between the "garage" and the house. But I suspect as with all things, a verbal is worth jack - having it in writing is something else - and unlikely to happen I suspect.

On my recent visit - they left the b\s and p\t (minus motor) alone - as bit hard to sell down the pub, unlike chop saw and nail gun compressor.

devonwoody":2tluxl39 said:
Anyone who can carry out my Table saw, bandsaw, or P/T would get a pat on the back.

I cant do it.

Yes - I've always said that if someone came to my house to carry away my Hammond C3 in a bag marked "swag", I'd hold the door for him, and call him "Sir".

BugBear

Hi. bugbear, longtime since I have heard the Hammond C3. I think someone professionally played the Orange Blossom Special at a concert.

Have you got something modern you can entertain us with. (midi or mp3.)

BOT

When my old Garage, which was detached, burnt down (Car in it caught fire - Petrol leak) many moons ago I discovered it was NOT covered by the building Insurance. So best to check.

dicktimber":d7cwbfgf said:
and the post code lottery for insurance cost

??? Not sure I follow you. Insurance companies try to be cometitive on premium price as they know that that is what many of us go on when buying insurance. But they have to balance that against the stats (which are pretty good these days) that show which areas have most break-ins etc. and so have the higher risk of a claim.

That's what I meant....depending on which area you live in will depend onhow low or high the premiums are, based on a like for like property etc.

When i asked about that to my broker I was told,'The program in the machine took that all into consideration, Sir'.......

dicktimber":2j5hynyu said:
When i asked about that to my broker I was told,'The program in the machine took that all into consideration, Sir'.......

... and if you live near a burn, it will load you with flood risk if you are less than a certain distance away from it. No matter if (as we are) your house is 40m above the burn.
Stupid, or what?

Latest posts

Back